PDA

View Full Version : losing power

marc49
09-16-2002, 08:48 AM
ok, today taking cara to work something happened twice. I was driving along and all of a sudden it was like i turned the car off, the engine went dead, all the idiot lights came on and my radio still worked.. I was pulling over and boom, the engine was on again and everythign was working just fine, and the radio didn't stop playing like it does when you are cranking your car to start the engine..

Then on the highway it lost power again, I got in the slow lane and just put my hand on the key to see if I could start it and again it all of a sudden had power again.

Everything happened so fast that I don't konw if I pushed the clutch in on either times when it lost power, or if the fact that I have a manual "started" my car because of the "push start princple :p "

I am praying to god it's not electrical cause god knows that can get expensive trying to pin point exactly what the problem is. Anybody got any ideas what could cause this to happen? So far it has only happened twice, it didn't happen at all on the way home.

doug
09-16-2002, 08:53 AM
I'd guess the starter switch might be going. I've heard of this before, especially if the driver has a load of keys and whatnot hanging off the actually ignition key. If it happens again just wiggle the key alittle and see if you get power again.

ACCORD EX
09-16-2002, 09:19 AM
the car started again with out cranking ! :eek: !
but i agree with doug ! :)

MIKE

locknload68
09-16-2002, 11:06 AM
My cousin's car did this when the fuel pump was going bad. We were going down the interstate and the engine just shut off. Everything else kept working. It came back on a few seconds later. The car did this completely random for a few weeks, after that, it wouldn't work at all. Oh yeah, his car was a 97 Plymouth Breeze. After we changed the fuel pump, it worked fine.

marc49
09-16-2002, 11:36 AM
the fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago so I don't think it's that..

I am leaning toward not neccessary the starter, because I have no problem starting the car at all, but maybe the ignition itself.. I don't really have that many keys, like 10 at the most.. hopefully it was just a fluke and I don't have to worry about it again ;) I will keep you guys posted