PDA

View Full Version : whining noise?

stocklxi
10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
okay well heres my current problem and i want to know if they're related or not, i still haven't done anything to fix this due to lack of funds, but i have a problem starting the car, it sounds like it has barely any juice and the tach jumps when tryin to start.

now today i went out and hooked a battery charger up to my battery first and charged it up to diagnose probably a bad alternator since my battery is dying after every time it runs.

I charge the battery, starts right up with no hesitation, but now i notice a whining noise coming from either the distributor or somewhere near it...i know its been there before but i only really noticed it after i adjusted my idle down to where it should be. could this be a result of not having that much juice on my charging system while it runs? or its my distributor on the verge of detonation as well? :(

russiankid
10-17-2007, 08:49 AM
To me it sounds like the alternator is dead.

Demon1024
10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
yeah sounds like two problems alt and distributor same thing happened to mine and the dist diddn'tlast much longer take off the cap on the dist and the point then the cap under it look for a powdery substance. my powder was red it lasted two days after it started with the noise.just replace it now so nothing real bad happens. find a parts car at the junk get bolth if they look o.k.

POS carb
10-19-2007, 07:36 AM
well the transmission input shaft, throwout bearing, amd clutch/torque converter are all located right below the distributor so make sure your tranny has proper oil levels before replacing the distributor.