PDA

View Full Version : 4g distributor adapter for obd-1 conversion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

AccordEpicenter
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM
i havent come across any info anywhere that suggests running it without a box

luisgonzalez
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Count me in if you start doing the distributor cap!

luisgonzalez
01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
hi guys so ill post these few questions here that i have about the whole obd1 conversion. i have a 87 dx that i want to make fi in the near future im just a little new to ecu, efi, odb1 conversion but i really want to do it. just some basic stuff to see if im in the right track. so to make it odb1 u have to change the dizzy to a model that had the obd1 right? then i would have to either make the changes on the current ecu "chip it", or buy another ecu (which is recommended? Same year from the lxi? Or something better?) and the harness for the obd0 to obd1 conversion right?

cygnus x-1
01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
hi guys so ill post these few questions here that i have about the whole obd1 conversion. i have a 87 dx that i want to make fi in the near future im just a little new to ecu, efi, odb1 conversion but i really want to do it. just some basic stuff to see if im in the right track. so to make it odb1 u have to change the dizzy to a model that had the obd1 right? then i would have to either make the changes on the current ecu "chip it", or buy another ecu (which is recommended? Same year from the lxi? Or something better?) and the harness for the obd0 to obd1 conversion right?

Since you're starting with a carbed car you need to convert to fuel injection first. That in itself is a bit of a task. Here's a short list of the major things you will need from an already fuel injected donor car:

- Intake manifold with the injectors and fuel rail
- Fuel lines with filters
- fuel pump and possibly the tank itself (not sure if the carb tank can be retro fitted)
- Engine wiring harness
- ECU and part of the under dash harness
- There is probably more that I'm forgetting

Then you need to do the OBD1 conversion:
- OBD1 distributor
- OBD1 ECU
- OBD1 ECU adapter harness
- Distributor adapter plate (or you can modify the distributor itself)

Obviously if you intend to convert to OBD1 you wouldn't need a stock fuel injection ECU, just an OBD1 ECU that has been chipped. And then once you have it all put together, it will need to be tuned (more $$$).

I don't want to discourage you but this will be a major undertaking, and will cost quite a bit, possibly more than the car is worth. I say that because depending on what kind of shape the car is in, you might be better to sell it and get a fuel injected car to start with. It would save you a lot of work.

I don't know what your plans are for this car but since it has a carb now you might consider just upgrading to a different carb (Weber 32/36 or 38/38, or even twin DCOEs if you plan to build up the rest of the engine). This would be a LOT less work and probably cheaper too unless you go for DCOE carbs.

C|

luisgonzalez
01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
thanks for the info, its good to have it all in one thread! Lol id been reading for quite a while, well my goal for the car was ending up with forced induction, so i had read that it was best to go with efi amd thats the reason i started reading about efi conversion. i wouldnt mind doing all the work for the swap and taking the time cuz i really lile my dx, no dents anywhere the usual rust and its super clean inside and out plus theres nothing missing, but youre right, it would be a lot easier starting with a platform with fi.

so for now i think ill work with what i have, but i will keep an eye open for an lxi. and i think i will o an upgrade on the carb. you mentioned the 32/36 and a 38/38 which one is best? I think ill do a lil shopping today : )

gfrg88
01-04-2012, 10:25 PM
thanks for the info, its good to have it all in one thread! Lol id been reading for quite a while, well my goal for the car was ending up with forced induction, so i had read that it was best to go with efi amd thats the reason i started reading about efi conversion. i wouldnt mind doing all the work for the swap and taking the time cuz i really lile my dx, no dents anywhere the usual rust and its super clean inside and out plus theres nothing missing, but youre right, it would be a lot easier starting with a platform with fi.

so for now i think ill work with what i have, but i will keep an eye open for an lxi. and i think i will o an upgrade on the carb. you mentioned the 32/36 and a 38/38 which one is best? I think ill do a lil shopping today : )

I like that you're willing to do all the work. There's been more than enough people that have gone through all the work. I get told numerous times to get another chassis, but I love my car!!! It's mine, and that's all that matters. Do your thing man!!

cygnus x-1
01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I like that you're willing to do all the work. There's been more than enough people that have gone through all the work. I get told numerous times to get another chassis, but I love my car!!! It's mine, and that's all that matters. Do your thing man!!

Agreed. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. This is not something you will be able to knock out in a weekend, or even two weekends for that matter. And there is no instruction manual either, so for some stuff you will have to do the research and figure out yourself.

But if you're up for a challenge, go for it!

Both the 32/36 and the 38/38 are good carbs. The 38/38 is a little bigger and will probably use a little more fuel (mostly because it will be hard to keep your foot off the accelerator!). Both require an adapter plate for mounting and some sort of bracket for the throttle cable. If you search around there are plenty of threads with info on Weber conversions. Also look in the FAQ/HOWTO sections.

Personally I like the 38/38 because it's a little bigger and also easier to tune since both bores use the same size jets. The 32/36 uses different jet sizes for each bore.

C|

gfrg88
01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
If I had a carbed car(which I would like to build someday), I would just throw on a .050 shaved a18 head on with a nice cam, and some nice carbs; and roll around in that :D

luisgonzalez
01-05-2012, 06:27 PM
well i just bought my weber 38/38!! Can't wait to install it! i got it for 350 a complete kit from ebay. hey cyngus i read in a different post that with a web it'll "maybe" pass emissions, even with a cat

gfrg88
01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I think if you tune it right it'll pass.. throw some e85 in there, that'll help out too ;)

luisgonzalez
01-06-2012, 08:22 AM
I think if you tune it right it'll pass.. throw some e85 in there, that'll help out too ;)

E85? I imagine theres gota be some more stuff you have to do to run e85 no?

cygnus x-1
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
well i just bought my weber 38/38!! Can't wait to install it! i got it for 350 a complete kit from ebay. hey cyngus i read in a different post that with a web it'll "maybe" pass emissions, even with a cat

It might pass, just depends on the test. If it's a visual inspection then not likely, unless you can sweet talk the inspector. If it's a sniffer test at idle, no problem. If it's a sniffer test where they put the car on a dyno and test it under a load, it could maybe pass if tuned well.

E85? I imagine theres gota be some more stuff you have to do to run e85 no?

You can't run *only* E85 as that would require different tuning. Mixing a little ethanol (E85 is 85% ethanol) into regular gasoline can help reduce emissions a little, but I think most fuel stations now only sell gasoline with ethanol already added, usually 5-10%. Adding a little more may or may not help. The only way to know would be to do some testing with a gas analyzer.

This is getting off topic though. You should start a new thread for your Weber conversion or anything else you want to talk about.

C|

-$MOKIN-
01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
ok u guys im a noob. I have no idea what obd-1 and all that sht means ..can u guys clue me in ? and why would u wanna go to a 4th gen dist ? Help and thanks for the info

gfrg88
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Here ya go!! OBD-1 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+OBD-1%3F)

:)

elpuma
01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
This OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness says its for civics, crx, and integras 88-91.
Would it work on our accords? Right now they are going for $90.
http://www.buyimportperformance.com/OBD0_to_OBD1_ECU_Jumper_Harness_p/cblpreobd-obd1.htm

elpuma
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Also these guys make a form of a plug and play harness to a point.
http://www.boomslang.us/obd0to1.htm
They have 3 different harnesses to choose from and from what i understand for our cars we'd use the MPFI harness. What I like about them is that they include directions on how to install it. But I'm not sure if their directions would be exactly the same for our accords since its made for the civic, crx, and integra. What do you guys think?

stat1K
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM
none of these harnesses are going to be plug and play for you. the only option would be to purchase one from lx-incredible and he doesn't come on here anymore.

the accord with it's normal distributor setup lacks a lot of the sensors that the civic and integra have in place. a dpfi civic would be the closest but in most cases you are still going to have to pin wires yourself.

the best way would be to modify an existing harness or make your own.

obdriver6
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I think rendon got one custom made by boomslang when he was going OBD1. PM rendon cause I'm not sure or you can try and PM lx-incredible maybe you'll get lucky.

elpuma
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I'll hit up rendon on fb and pm lx-incredible. I'll also email boomslang and see what they have to say.

stat1K
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
lx-incredible will NOT pm you back, there isn't any getting lucky lol.

obdriver6
01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Its worth a shot, you never know!

stat1K
01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
i of all people do know for certain. I can call him and tell him a few people have probably pm'd him but he doesn't care to waste his time with looky loo's and window shoppers. 90% of the people that have said they wanted items from him have never actually had him do any work for them, and a few others took a while to pay, very few of the transactions have been what one would call smooth.

but like i said, it's likely that you will get no response. especially if you're not someone he knows or has been in contact with before.

i've been meaning to call him anyway since i haven't spoken to him since october.

gfrg88
01-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I had a smooth transaction :thumbup:

elpuma
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
stat1k if you do get a hold of lx-incredible can you let him know that I'll pay up front in full?

stat1K
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
what is it that you're looking for exactly, shoot me a pm, i'm gonna try to call him tonight.

cygnus x-1
01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
stat1k if you do get a hold of lx-incredible can you let him know that I'll pay up front in full?

And I'm wondering, have you worked out what to do with the distributor? I ask because I haven't done any work on the aforementioned distributor modifications yet, but I'll get on it if you're interested. If you want to use the adapter plate set I have those available now. Or if you have another plan that's cool too.

C|

elpuma
01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Before josh ditched the a20 to work on the lsv, he had a D series dizzy which i was going to buy off him. Changed my mind and it was sold to another member. Now I've bought it off that other member.

stat1K
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
so another flake out, glad i didn't call lx-incredible to bother him only to have a pm the next morning saying nevermind.

case in point i guess.

for the record if people are asking stupid questions about what WILL and WON'T work... anything CAN work if you make it. that's up to you, clearly.

cygnus x-1
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Before josh ditched the a20 to work on the lsv, he had a D series dizzy which i was going to buy off him. Changed my mind and it was sold to another member. Now I've bought it off that other member.

Wait, D series? Are they the same as the F series? If they are I didn't know that.

And as I recall this particular distributor has been modified to fit the A20. Ok. I'm still planning to look into modifying distributors; I just won't put a priority on it unless someone seriously wants one.

C|

stat1K
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
as far as internally the d-series are the same, i believe that the f22 obd1 distributors share the same leg configuration as the y8 d-series motors.

Susanoo
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
So cygnus, do you still have some of these plates and keys made?? I dont have the money right this second but i will in about two weeks...I just wanna give a heads up if you dont have any made...

cygnus x-1
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
So cygnus, do you still have some of these plates and keys made?? I dont have the money right this second but i will in about two weeks...I just wanna give a heads up if you dont have any made...

They're ready to go when you are. :cheers:

C|

Susanoo
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
They're ready to go when you are. :cheers:

C|

Awesome :thumbup: I must say im really impressed in all the work thats gone into this project and its great success. Props to everyone who made it happen.

cygnus x-1
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Awesome :thumbup: I must say im really impressed in all the work thats gone into this project and its great success. Props to everyone who made it happen.

Thanks!

C|

cygnus x-1
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Just wanted to mention, I got my grubby hands on a TD-52U distributor (92-93 Accord) in order to work out how to make it directly fit the A20 head. The goal is for this to be completely bolt on, no other mechanical mods required. Most likely the way this will work is I will sell only the modified distributor cases, you swap the guts from your distributor into the modified case, and then send the old case back to me for a core refund. It's less work for me which means cheaper for you. I don't have a price worked out yet since I don't know exactly how much work the mods will be, but it will be *significantly* cheaper than the adapter plates.

C|

89T
03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
why could'nt you just make a universal mount. Then a guy could use any obd1 dizzy. All he needs to do is remove all the stock mounting points. If that were to happen then you would not even have to re-time the cam key. Set the timing then drill and tap the case for 3 allen head bolts. IDK

Tdurr
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
89t, explain what you are trying to say?

89T
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Well Tim, possibly a flat plate with three mounting holes that mount to the base of the housing. It would have to be thin though.

I also had a thought of a cylinder that fits around the base of the distributer welded to a plate with the a20 bolt pattern. You would of course have the 3 mounting screws.

89T
03-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Now that I think of it, you'd still have to grind the water neck bolt and side of the distributer. hmm?

stat1K
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
the reason the 4g distributor was utilized was because of it's external coil right?

2drSE-i
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
that's an awesome idea! I'm hoping to finish my obd1 swap this summer. then again I've been "almost done" for two years...

89T
03-26-2012, 03:53 AM
the reason the 4g distributor was utilized was because of it's external coil right?

I am not sure, Mine has a internal coil.

2drSE-i
03-26-2012, 07:27 AM
the 92-93 accord one is external coil. they are physically the same other than that. I know threres a reason we use 4g accord ones, I just don't remember why lol.

cygnus x-1
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Well Tim, possibly a flat plate with three mounting holes that mount to the base of the housing. It would have to be thin though.

The issue with any sort of adapter plate is that you have to somehow extend the distributor key. If you made the plate *really* thin you might get away without it, but then it's going to be hard to mount the plate because the mounting screws to the head need to be flush.

I also had a thought of a cylinder that fits around the base of the distributer welded to a plate with the a20 bolt pattern. You would of course have the 3 mounting screws.

Still have to extend the key. And not really any easier than a plate.

Now that I think of it, you'd still have to grind the water neck bolt and side of the distributer. hmm?

And there's that too.

the 92-93 accord one is external coil. they are physically the same other than that. I know threres a reason we use 4g accord ones, I just don't remember why lol.

I think it's mostly due to availability. I looked into using a 3g Prelude distributor (smaller case) but they have the #1 cylinder sensor mounted in a separate case run off the second cam, so that's out.

The coil location doesn't matter, either would work. I like the external coil because it gives you more flexibility in coils. But the internal one is more compact, so that's a plus.

Anyway, it just seems like modifying the distributor housing is the most direct route to take. And in my experience the most direct route is usually the best.

C|

cygnus x-1
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Alright peoples,

I've been looking at the stack of OBD1 adapters that have been sitting in a box at least a year, and I started thinking that these things really need to go before I work on modifying distributors instead. So I'm putting them on sale. Because demand for them has been very low for awhile now this is pretty much going to be a closeout sale; meaning I won't likely make any more of them, ever. I could possibly be persuaded to make more in the future if people really wanted them, but I think modified distributors make more sense due to the lower cost.

So, $220 for the key and plate set, with hardware and seals, shipping included to anywhere in the US. Regular price was $300 so this is a sizable discount. This sale will end when the parts are all gone. I think I have 4 or 5 sets left.

C|

gfrg88
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I thought the reason we stuck with F22 dizzy was cause it was the closest to the stock mounting points.... but with an adapter, we should be able to use any

guaynabo89
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I thought the reason we stuck with F22 dizzy was cause it was the closest to the stock mounting points.... but with an adapter, we should be able to use any

The reason was because the 93 f22 distributor is an external coil not internal like the rest so less wiring.

89T
06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Alright peoples,

I've been looking at the stack of OBD1 adapters that have been sitting in a box at least a year, and I started thinking that these things really need to go before I work on modifying distributors instead. So I'm putting them on sale. Because demand for them has been very low for awhile now this is pretty much going to be a closeout sale; meaning I won't likely make any more of them, ever. I could possibly be persuaded to make more in the future if people really wanted them, but I think modified distributors make more sense due to the lower cost.

So, $220 for the key and plate set, with hardware and seals, shipping included to anywhere in the US. Regular price was $300 so this is a sizable discount. This sale will end when the parts are all gone. I think I have 4 or 5 sets left.

C| Ill
pick 1up in a couple of Weeks.

ShyBoyCA6
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Discount!!!! O_O. If there is any left ill pick one up. Get paid next week.

called my friend and should have the Motor Mounts in by the weekend with Pictars! :)

cygnus x-1
06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
The reason was because the 93 f22 distributor is an external coil not internal like the rest so less wiring.

You can use either one, external or internal coil. The mechanicals are the same, just different wiring. Given the option I would choose external coil, just for more flexibility in choice of coil.

C|

cygnus x-1
06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Ill
pick 1up in a couple of Weeks.

Discount!!!! O_O. If there is any left ill pick one up. Get paid next week.

Cool and cool!

C|

Susanoo
08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Im messaging you right now to get one in the mail :)

SQ is the SQUAD
09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
how much are these going for?

cygnus x-1
09-24-2012, 09:27 AM
how much are these going for?

Original price was $300 for the plate and key. Demand for these has now dropped to essentially zero so I'm selling the last few sets for $220 each (includes shipping). And that will probably be the end of them unless someone REALLY wants one. After the adapters are gone I want to look at modifying the distributors themselves to make them a direct fit to the A20 head. I think it's ultimately a simpler solution.

C|

gfrg88
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Original price was $300 for the plate and key. Demand for these has now dropped to essentially zero so I'm selling the last few sets for $220 each (includes shipping). And that will probably be the end of them unless someone REALLY wants one. After the adapters are gone I want to look at modifying the distributors themselves to make them a direct fit to the A20 head. I think it's ultimately a simpler solution.

C|

Try going on the facebook 3geez group.. tons of people on there that don't come on here, and I see interest..

Rendon LX-i
09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Modding the dizzy is simple . Had one . Now a member has it on here

cygnus x-1
09-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Try going on the facebook 3geez group.. tons of people on there that don't come on here, and I see interest..

This is pretty much what I think of Facebook. :toilet:

But that seems to be what people are into these days, so I suppose I should check it out.

C|

2oodoor
09-27-2012, 02:26 PM

What! I think hey know how to find the site im sure.

Yeah do wish we could post pics here from ipods etc. otherwise I share a similar mood as you cygnusX1.
Eventually I want obd1 For the hatchback but focus is on the other car for now. I need the Edis stuff next after lx suspension is completEd

gfrg88
09-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Yeah do wish we could post pics here from ipods etc. otherwise I share a similar mood as you cygnusX1.
Eventually I want obd1 For the hatchback but focus is on the other car for now. I need the Edis stuff next after lx suspension is completEd

They do, but a lot of them don't want to come on here for some reason..

Tdurr
11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I want to add some o-ring info to this thread.

Standard AS568-# sizes:
224 -plate and thermostat housing d-ring
221 -plate o-ring
120 -can be used as a replacement for metric size that goes on the distributor itself

Viton recommended for o-ring material.

just bumping this info for those who have the plates. maybe add it to the Original post?

'A20A3'
02-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Still need to go obd1 myself...

lostforawhile
02-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Eventually I want obd1 For the hatchback but focus is on the other car for now. I need the Edis stuff next after lx suspension is completEdyou can,thats why the tapatalk app, we do need a chatbox though

cygnus x-1
10-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Just a quick update (since this thread is way old now)...

The adapter sets are currently in stock for $240, including shipping anywhere in the USA. A set includes one plate, one distributor coupler (key), and all required hardware and seals to bolt an F22 distributor to an A20A3 head. Distributor and jumper harness not included.

PM me for more info.

C|

Tdurr
11-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Good deal here. If i had another 3g, id do the obd1 swap first.

rushell
02-20-2016, 11:26 AM
do u still have the adapter plates for obd1 conversion contact me at 706 627 9543 cell thanks

obd0driver
02-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Yes the plates are still for sale he just posted on Facebook that he ran out and then he will be making some more soon

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk