PDA

View Full Version : I have a weird noise in engine bay

JGBaugh
10-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a squeal under the hood of my car. It's not a typical loose/tight belt squeal, but more of a bad pulley. The thing is the noise is mild on a dry day, but if i go through a car wash or it rains or if the humid is high, the noise is horrible. also it started shortly after a water pump replacement. my question, could this be a bad pump or maybe a bad ac compressor, or something else. I can't pin point the source of the noise. Please help.

BITESIZE
10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Sounds to be like the bearings in something are bad.

JGBaugh
10-18-2007, 10:28 PM
ya I just wish I knew where to look?

BITESIZE
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
water pump

ac pump

power steering pump

Demon1024
10-18-2007, 11:05 PM
i've got the same problem. i think it's my power steering,but, take off the timing belt covers get a long hose.on end too your ear move the other around in the bay while you run it. CAREFULLY! if it grabs the hose it could grab your fingers too or really screw somthing up. this is what i need to do as well but i'm lazy. it may be your t belt tensioner as well.
Did you pry on the tensioner (or anything if you pulled hard enough) that'll damage bearings quick. been there done that. good luck! post what you find.

Try it with the covers on first to see if you can find it that way. (duh) i like to keep an eye on things in there. too many broken belts and such

POS carb
10-19-2007, 07:32 AM
use a piece of hose like a stethoscope and see if you can isolate where its coming from.

it has been my experience that all these cars have bent waterpump pulleys (or pump shafts) so make sure the pulley isn't cutting into the lower timing cover. a slight wobble seems to be the norm in these cars :thumbdn:

you could also try removing the belts one at a time and running the engine to see if you find the culprit. you can drive all day without the p/s and a/c belts but only for about 1 minute without the waterpump/alternator belt.

Timing belts don't usually make noise they just break. If the tensioner is bad the engine will have a raspy scraping noise when you run it with all the belts off.

JGBaugh
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
thanks guys, I will be working on it tonight and post what I find.

moliassa
10-26-2007, 08:15 PM
lol seems to be that time of the year. My accord had the same noise. I will be replacing the water pump soon before it fails. The sound wasnt happening all the time but at one point when it started making it I pulled to the side of the road for some quick diagnostics. Water pump pulley/bearings/rod. Water pump replacement here I come. I will be changing some belts at the same time.

russiankid
10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I had a squeak as well, and it turned out to be the water pump.

Hauntd ca3
10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
timing belts can sometimes make a noise when they are getting on a bit.
but they tend to make a rattley slappy sound
how new are all the belts?

Oldblueaccord
10-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Squirt some Wd-40 around, car running, you'll find the noise quick enough.

wp