PDA

View Full Version : pre-emptive cleaning of IACV?

w261w261
10-19-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm going to change out the remaining coolant hose on my idle air control valve (the one on the driver's side), and it looks like to get at it I'm going to have to take off some of the vacuum plumbing,etc that's in the front of the valve. While I'm doing that, I wonder if I should take off the valve itself and clean it out. I've heard it usually gives no problems, but now would be the time to work on it if I can do something to prolong it's life. What do you guys think? Leave it be or take it off?

2oodoor
10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
well you are performing preventive maintenance so why not, just use a good product that is O2 sensor safe, I use BG intake and throttle body cleaner, it melts all the caked up stuff and turns it into combustables. thing is you do not want to loosen up stuff that is going to set up again before it is all cleaned out. There is a part of the IAC usually that you just cannot always get to.
Berrymans, Lucas, and Seafoam make good pro grade cleaners too.
LOL so it is ultimately up to you, so dont say roodoo said to do it and now it is F'd up.. lol just joking

DBMaster
10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
If it's not giving you any trouble I would not mess with it. I cleaned mine and eventually had to replace it. The gasket is a Honda only item. It is an oring that looks like a pair of eyeglasses. Plus, you have to loosen quite a few things in your way to get to the IACV bolts.

2oodoor
10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
thats good advice too, if it aint broke dont fix it:)
cleaning throttle body is PM, cleaning IAC is more of a repairing a problem procedure

w261w261
10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
OK, sounds like don't fix it if it ain't broke kind of thing. Thx for replies.