PDA

View Full Version : My trunk is leaking when it rains! Here's my idea!

blh1983
10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I've been having a problem with water lately. I guess it could do with the fact that I'm in Oregon, lol. But my trunk has been leaking when it rains, and the carpet in the trunk keeps getting soaked. Not only that but it seems no matter how clean I get the spare tire area, that little drain in the trunk still clogs up.

I went to Knechts Auto and bought some adhesive weatherstripping, kind of like the stuff used on air conditioners. Only this stuff is waterproof. I figured out that a lot of the water was coming from my tail lights. So I took out factory tail light gasket, and made my own. This solved 50% of the problem. The weatherstripping around the trunk likes to leak, and I pulled of the weather stripping to reveal that it was completely rusted away in places. The only thing I could think of for this is silicone, I dont have money to repair this kind of damage any other way. So that is done. So in theory the trunk should be sealed.

If this doesn't work. Here's my other idea. Cut the carpet out of the trunk, and remove the plastic/cardboard thing. Very lightly sand down the trunk, spray it down with rust oleum. Then after that apply Aersol Rubberized spray. If you have a better idea, let me know.

2oodoor
10-19-2007, 02:49 PM
silicone works good but dont build it up so much it interferes with the rubber gasket . You can adjust the lid to shut a little tighter too, A lot of cars "gahter moss" at the top of the trunk and it keeps the water from flowing good enough to drain on down.

Hauntd ca3
10-24-2007, 12:23 AM
all the cash you'd spend on that rustoleum and rubberising the boot floor would prob pay for the rust repair or at least not to far off it.
the lip where the rubber strip goes on isnt that hard to replace so shouldnt cost much.
price it and it might surprise you.
I'm getting some rust work done round the rr tail light and under the rear windscreen and only costing few hundy

AccordB20A
10-24-2007, 12:33 AM
i got the lip around the bootlid welded on my car by a "professional" and they did a gay arse job, charged me $360. now we have a welder im gunna redo it. leaks are teh gay

russiankid
10-24-2007, 03:45 AM
My taillights would also leak, so i bought Honda seals and it stopped. My trunk seal is also leaking, that is why i am ordering a seal from Honda for $62.

carotman
10-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Hmmm, remove the plastic panels in the trunk, you might get little surprises. I had rust where the rear panel meets with the quarter panel. There is a seam joint there that was leaking. Water runs along the body and just goes through the seam.

nswst8
10-24-2007, 04:48 AM
My leak came from under the window trim pull off the rear window trim and more than likely you'll have some rust to deal with there as well.

I used Aluminum HVAC tape to cove the holes until I could properly deal with the prblem.

2oodoor
10-24-2007, 06:15 AM
My leak came from under the window trim pull off the rear window trim and more than likely you'll have some rust to deal with there as well.

I used Aluminum HVAC tape to cove the holes until I could properly deal with the prblem.

I love that tape !!! instant metal fab..

Hash_man_Se_i
10-24-2007, 08:03 AM
If you have a sunroof, then the drains can cause issues aswell with water in the trunk

blh1983
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I fixed the leak, but I'm sure the repair is going to last only a couple of seasons at best. I went to the parts store and got some RV/AC like weather stripping with the adhesive back. I removed the tail lights and fitted this weather stripping in 2 layers. No more leaks from the tail lights. Also put silicone around the edge of the rubber trunk gasket. That stopped that leak. And I did have a problem at one time with the sunroof clogging up and leaking into the trunk, but that problem was fixed a couple of months ago. I removed those annoying rubber filters from the sunroof hoses so there would be no restriction on the flow of the sunroof drain. No my car is stayin dry aside from mysterious leaking heater core. I have antifreeze on my carpet on the passenger side, but I never ever have had to add more antifreeze or water to my radiator. It doesn't make any sense given how wet the floor stays.

lostforawhile
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
mine does that too,and i just replaced it not too long ago. time to do it again. my radiator fluid never drops eithier.

EricW
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
When i had a leak under the passenger side dash it wasn't from the heater core. It came from a seam under the dash, i couldn't find where it entered from the outside after several tries of sealing up seams, etc. It was obvious where it cam from once i removed the dash and blower unit. I started a thread about it on here somewhere, it has pics of where the hole was.

lostforawhile
11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
When i had a leak under the passenger side dash it wasn't from the heater core. It came from a seam under the dash, i couldn't find where it entered from the outside after several tries of sealing up seams, etc. It was obvious where it cam from once i removed the dash and blower unit. I started a thread about it on here somewhere, it has pics of where the hole was.
na this is good old prestone green coolant not water. also CAh has found a solution to the water leaks problem,just get some clear packing tape and tape the crap out of it. tape the trunk closed lol.