PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Injection (TBI) ?

forrest89sei
10-19-2007, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried converting there Carb car to Throttle Body Injection (TBI)?

It seems like it would be alot less work then a EFI Swap, and looks like it has some advantages?

For people who don't know what TBI is this is what I'm talking about http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html

2ndGenGuy
10-19-2007, 03:09 PM
There were some 3g and 4g Civics that had TBI, at least the one I worked on last night did. Maybe you could steal the system from one of those?

Ichiban
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I think that the throttle body system requires all of the same components as the MPI system, and it would be the same (if not more) headache as the MPI setup that already exists for our cars.

forrest89sei
10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
There were some 3g and 4g Civics that had TBI, at least the one I worked on last night did. Maybe you could steal the system from one of those?

hmmm, have to check into that, it's not for me, but I was just wondering :wave:

cygnus x-1
10-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I considered it when I had the Weber on still, but the only advantage I could think of is that I could use the same manifold. But then I would still need to make an adapter plate to fit the throttle body on, and port injection manifolds are cheap and easy to find. You still need a computer, a high pressure fuel pump, a MAP sensor, and a high pressure line back to the tank.

C|

2oodoor
10-20-2007, 02:19 PM
those use a lot higher pressure than MPI, It may have some advantages, like fewer idle control issues than MFI, and hey how about a blow through supercharger without worry of float bowl issues.... still has throttle shaft though.

lostforawhile
10-20-2007, 02:31 PM
there are some after market throttle body systems made, one thing that some of the carb guys do, is use their factory fuel pump,then install a header tank on the firewall and an underhood high pressure pump. the high pressure fi pump pulls it's fuel from the header tank and the return goes right back to it. all the factory pump does is keep the tank full.

gomez88accord
10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I think that the throttle body system requires all of the same components as the MPI system, and it would be the same (if not more) headache as the MPI setup that already exists for our cars.

X2