PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 3g Accord Hatch

DemonicAngel
10-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and I have a gray 3g Accord Hatch.
I'm thinking of lowering it and in a thread it said 88-91 civic coilover sleeves would work for our cars.

In the "How To" section, I noticed that a member used civic coilovers for the front and 90-97 accord coilovers for the rear. Since civic coilover sleeves are more readily available than accords, would it be ok to use the civic coilovers for the front and rear?

Any insight on this would help. Thanks guys!

coope
10-19-2007, 10:08 PM
i bought the ebay shit to me they dont ride that bad i lowered my baby 3in but camber is shity tho but im gonna get the civic coils

MessyHonda
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
they make lowering springs for our cars. i would upgrade the shocks with tokico blue

DemonicAngel
10-20-2007, 11:31 AM
So just to confirm, civic 88-91 coilover sleeves are safe to use on our cars right?

In regards to eBay, I'm not a huge fan of it which is why I'm curious about civic coilovers since they're easy to attain here. I work for eBay Customer Support for the US and Canada and considering their own employees aren't fond of eBay...that's saying something. I'll leave it at that.

ghettogeddy
10-20-2007, 12:29 PM
look around at a company called drop zone u can get coil overs and springs form the for the 3g
http://www.dzsport.com/
springs SPSP1002
coilovers SPCO1002

DemonicAngel
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
well, the reason why i'm wondering if civic coilover sleeves would work is because a friend of mine has some lying around which he doesn't need anymore. so rather than ordering something online, i'd rather use his coilovers if they indeed work. just don't want to go through the hassle of trying to install them if they're unsafe to use on our cars or not compatible.

just looking for advice on that rather than looking elsewhere to purchase different kind of coilovers if i don't have to at this point. still just wanting confirmation. thanks for all the input so far guys.

MessyHonda
10-20-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah most coil over are universal....Geddy has to do something to the rear perch of the coil over in order to sit right.

bobafett
10-21-2007, 09:26 AM
also I believe you may need to put a small 'sleeve' around your strut so that the coilover sleeve isn't loose and has a tight-ish fit on the strut. It's been so long since I put my ground controls on, but I seem to remember a little black rubber sleeve to put around the strut. :) You could wrap the strut with anything to build it up though. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

w261w261
10-21-2007, 10:07 AM
I work for eBay Customer Support for the US and Canada and considering their own employees aren't fond of eBay...that's saying something. I'll leave it at that.

You mean eBay actually has people that work in "customer support." You could have fooled me.

DemonicAngel
10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
You mean eBay actually has people that work in "customer support." You could have fooled me.

haha i know what you mean. I work Live Chat for Canada support. I sometimes help out for US Live Chat if it's really busy. It's funny cuz if you go to US Live Chat, they do NOTHING for you. They'll just tell you to email in to the correct department. But Canada Live Chat is cross-trained and can issue credits to your account on the spot.

fogged
12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
they make lowering springs for our cars. i would upgrade the shocks with tokico blue

I was told that tokico blues where no better than stock. If not cool. Has anyone tried a set of tokico aluminas on a 3g? My lil bro has a set on his 2nd gen teggie. He loves the shit out of em'

coope
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
u have to use ur own top hat civics wont fit

knarg
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I was told that tokico blues where no better than stock. If not cool. Has anyone tried a set of tokico aluminas on a 3g? My lil bro has a set on his 2nd gen teggie. He loves the shit out of em'

the tokico's are definitely better than stock, especially worn out ones heh

they are supposedly 10% stiffer

the illuminas are not made for the 3g.

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2008, 01:45 AM

look around at a company called drop zone u can get coil overs and springs form the for the 3g
http://www.dzsport.com/
springs SPSP1002
coilovers SPCO1002

the tokico's are definitely better than stock, especially worn out ones heh

they are supposedly 10% stiffer

the illuminas are not made for the 3g.
:werd:

ghettogeddy
04-23-2008, 02:01 AM
also I believe you may need to put a small 'sleeve' around your strut so that the coilover sleeve isn't loose and has a tight-ish fit on the strut. It's been so long since I put my ground controls on, but I seem to remember a little black rubber sleeve to put around the strut. :) You could wrap the strut with anything to build it up though. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

most kits come with o-rings

Demon1024
04-23-2008, 02:39 AM
y? 4m ago

ghettogeddy
04-23-2008, 02:46 AM
y? 4m ago

what

markmdz89hatch
04-28-2008, 04:48 AM
While I can't say anything about wether or not the Civic's will fit, as messy and boba said, most sleeve kits can be worked to fit just about anything. The only catch there is if the sleeve diameter is less then your strut then you're out of luck.

But please please please remember this: Just because it fits, or you can modify it to make it fit, does not mean that it 'works'.

Remember that the Civic has much different corner weights then our Accords, and the suspension travel is also different. The travel is not a huge concern, but more-so the corner weights. Reason being is that it's hard enough to find a set of struts valved to compliment basically any aftermarket spring for our car. So be very carefull to do your homework and find out the spring rate (pound rating) of the springs you're looking at, and make sure the struts you pick are valved to handle that spring rate.

Good luck.

Lindsey453
05-28-2012, 07:32 AM
how nice are the drop zone springs?

88lxi-shortram
05-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I have the dropzone springs on my car and they ride great on stock struts. Surprisingly theyre not bouncy and not too stiff imo. But.... I have had ef coiloverd before and i do not recommend them at all. I had the dropzone ones and i will tell u right now you may be able to get them to fit but they are stiff and honestly unsafe. Mine moved one time off of the spring perch and luckily didnt damage anything. My honest advice is if your going to run coilovers save up for full bodied coilovers and do it right the first time.

Vanilla Sky
05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
If you run coilovers and they aren't seated on BOTH perches at full droop, then you need either dead coils or limiting straps to keep the springs on their perches.

obdriver6
06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
If you run coilovers and they aren't seated on BOTH perches at full droop, then you need either dead coils or limiting straps to keep the springs on their perches.

.... or extended top hats.

A18A
06-12-2012, 01:08 AM
or keeper springs

Vanilla Sky
06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Keeper springs are another name for dead coils.

Making extended top hats work for an adjustable coilover setup with short springs likely isn't the best solution. I've seen plenty of these cars set up with the springs needing a good 2 inches of dead coil. The effective shortening you get with the top hat mod isn't often enough to remedy that.

obdriver6
06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Well I haven't had any problems with my set up. I also just recently installed coilover sleeves, tighten them as much as I could and they don't move. I'm at the same height as when I had the cut springs and those didn't even move either.