PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep my rear calipers happy?

w261w261
10-20-2007, 08:36 AM
On another thread here, a member notes that his rear calipers are gone. This happened to me maybe three years ago, and it's happened on two other cars I have. Always it's the rears. Is there some reason for this? Do they not get the workout that the fronts do, so they're more prone to freezing up? Is there some kind of regular maintenance that can be done on them to keep it from happening, or is that their destiny? Thx.

carotman
10-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Each time I change my wheels in the winter, I do a basic brake cleanup. I remove the sliders, clean them and put some Permatex Caliper grease on them (green synthetic grease). That's the only grease that works great on calipers.

labeledsk8r
10-20-2007, 01:31 PM
On another thread here, a member notes that his rear calipers are gone. This happened to me maybe three years ago, and it's happened on two other cars I have. Always it's the rears. Is there some reason for this? Do they not get the workout that the fronts do, so they're more prone to freezing up? Is there some kind of regular maintenance that can be done on them to keep it from happening, or is that their destiny? Thx.

i feel your pain man, my cutlass's rear disks are starting to stager a bit or snag on breaking, that along with this being my first time in snow im kinda scared about losieng them but hope they hold out till spring. i might try out that grease carot man is talking about though

2ndGenGuy
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Rear calipers are gone? What do you guys mean they are gone? Like the sliders are siezing up? Or are the bolts backing out???

88LXi68
10-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Rear calipers are gone? What do you guys mean they are gone? Like the sliders are siezing up? Or are the bolts backing out???

Sliders seize up...happens on my Integra too. I just changed a rear caliper on the Integra and I used anti-seize on the sliders, but I should try that permatex grease.

2oodoor
10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
go easy with the silcone brake lube, dont use so much that it makes it way to the pads and rotor.
the rear calipers are the lowest point in the system so they tend to collect a lot of moisture inside the piston cavity. This causes corrosion and eventually limits the motion of the caliper. They get to where they do not want to retreat to well after hitting the brakes. Yearly bleeding of the fluid is a good thing to do so fresh fluid stays back there.

AccordB20A
10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
you guys dont do enuff handbrakeys (e-brake ripping action while taking a corner)

w261w261
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
go easy with the silcone brake lube, dont use so much that it makes it way to the pads and rotor.
the rear calipers are the lowest point in the system so they tend to collect a lot of moisture inside the piston cavity. This causes corrosion and eventually limits the motion of the caliper. They get to where they do not want to retreat to well after hitting the brakes. Yearly bleeding of the fluid is a good thing to do so fresh fluid stays back there.

Interesting comment, and good advice. Thx.