PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to make anther one of these, but I failed emissions.

turabaka
10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Well like the title says I failed my emissions test. I only failed on HC at idle I needed 220 and got 1507. I passed on CO and HC at 2500 rpm, and passed on CO at idle. I'm guessing that buying a new catalytic converter would solve my problem. Thoughts?

forrest89sei
10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Well like the title says I failed my emissions test. I only failed on HC at idle I needed 220 and got 1507. I passed on CO and HC at 2500 rpm, and passed on CO at idle. I'm guessing that buying a new catalytic converter would solve my problem. Thoughts?

Any NEW Cat will help alot

Check and Clean the EGR, the EGR reduces the HC, Also Seafoam the car, but before you replace the cat

turabaka
10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Where can I get seafoam, and what is it?

forrest89sei
10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Where can I get seafoam, and what is it?

Autozone has it

it's a fuel system cleaner, but I poured it down the carb

it helps the car shit out the carbon

works great

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seafoamsales.com%2FmotorTuneU p.htm&ei=b3IaR4usE4fohQPVoZ3uBw&usg=AFQjCNFEMo44y4rhclkil69CVCd4umtK0A&sig2=AcZRpsKyWgBR1bvrHLMZjQ

But DO NOT ADD TO OIL

Just use it in the carb

labeledsk8r
10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
hold on a second, boise makes you smog test?? bahahaha well a new cat will help alot but if something else is bad then it will just eat up the new cat, i dont know much about seafoam as i have never used it but i guess others have and it worked great

turabaka
10-20-2007, 01:34 PM
well the only thing that failed is the HC, and that was at idle. So that's why I'm thinking that it's the cat. I think I'll seafoam it, and buy a magnaflow cat. Maybe just redo the whole exhaust system while I'm at it. A little upgrade!! :)

labeledsk8r
10-20-2007, 01:49 PM
well the only thing that failed is the HC, and that was at idle. So that's why I'm thinking that it's the cat. I think I'll seafoam it, and buy a magnaflow cat. Maybe just redo the whole exhaust system while I'm at it. A little upgrade!! :)

hells yeah, upgrade while your at it, might as well lol, but again i wasnt jokeing they actully make you emition test in boise?? lol i really dont know becuse i know i dont here becuse im running catless lol

Civic Accord Honda
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
sk8r ur running a catless cutlass =O lol

labeledsk8r
10-20-2007, 01:55 PM
sk8r ur running a catless cutlass =O lol

LOL yes... yes i am .

MessyHonda
10-20-2007, 04:54 PM
smog blows...i try to keep everything legal but im willing to pay someone to pass it for me.

Pico
10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
smog blows...i try to keep everything legal but im willing to pay someone to pass it for me.

X2

turabaka
10-21-2007, 09:52 AM
it's really odd in Boise. They make you smog if you're in ada county (that's inside the city), but quite a few of the people commmute now and they're in canyon county(just outside the city) where they don't make you smog test. really retarded. I've thought about getting someone in canyon county to register the car for me so that I don't have to deal with smog tests, but oh well. A little upgrade never hurt anything.

labeledsk8r
10-21-2007, 09:57 AM
it's really odd in Boise. They make you smog if you're in ada county (that's inside the city), but quite a few of the people commmute now and they're in canyon county(just outside the city) where they don't make you smog test. really retarded. I've thought about getting someone in canyon county to register the car for me so that I don't have to deal with smog tests, but oh well. A little upgrade never hurt anything.

that sucks, but upgrades are good

tuxdreamerx
10-21-2007, 10:21 AM
wow im glad I dont have to smog test cuz I would be screwed. lol my carb is running very rich I have a rebuilt one coming from forest and oh I have no cat and no resinator lol just flex pipe, pipe and muffler lol I would fail right away. my car is very loud though lol.

I have used seafoam before it is a good product you can put it in gas or straight in the carb I think you will have better results putting it in the carb.

turabaka
10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
alright then. Thanks for all the help I'm ordering my magnaflow cat and muffler today, and will start work on my new exhaust setup after I get the parts.

labeledsk8r
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
sweet, you get a magnaflow mufler 2?

forrest89sei
10-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Sounds Good,

Seafoam the Car prior to installing the cat, otherwise you'll clog up the new one :wave:

Also if your interested in selling your old cat let me know

AccordB20A
10-21-2007, 02:49 PM
you could also do what i would do and up the idle to 2000rpm :)

turabaka
10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
you could also do what i would do and up the idle to 2000rpm :)

nice Idea. I might try that. I'm still going to upgrade my exhaust though. I haven't ordered the parts yet like I said I was going to, I need to get in touch with a local shop that does exhaust work so I can get my piping increased to 2.25, I'll order the parts later this week since I have to get it passing before the end of the month.

stat1K
10-22-2007, 12:16 AM
or poor rubbing alcohol in it... lol works on the 84 accord flawlessly ha. my dad owns emissions face!

DBMaster
10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
When my car failed emissions for HC a couple of years ago I had to let Danny's (my mechanic of choice) look at it. It was the O2 sensors. I am betting that's what it is here. The Cat being bad would have caused you to fail for CO. The EGR system controls NOx emissions. The O2 sensors are slower to react when they get old so you won't get the check engine light. They have to be completely bad for that.

I am telling you this because if you replace the cat you still may not pass. In the meantime I recommend Berryman's Chemtool.

turabaka
10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
I just thought of something. replacing the filter that goes from the stock airbox to the valve cover with a cone shaped breather filter wouldn't affect emissions would it?

DBMaster
10-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I just thought of something. replacing the filter that goes from the stock airbox to the valve cover with a cone shaped breather filter wouldn't affect emissions would it?

It shouldn't affect tailpipe emissions, but in some areas they might have an issue with it if they pop the hood and see it. That type of filter can allow crankcase vapors from the rocker area to vent to the atmosphere rather than getting pulled in with the fresh air stream and burned.

Also, since you have a DX you only have one O2 sensor to replace rather than the two I had. They run from about $60 at the low end for a cheap universal type. A better OEM type with OEM style connector can cost closer to $100, but I think it's worth the extra money.

turabaka
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
well he did hook up something inside the engine bay. I'm not sure what it is though. he hooked it up near where the black box is. Are you serious about $60 for an O2 sensor. I'm getting one tomorrow at autozone for about $20. by the way. I like the sig. Buckaroo Banzai for the win!!!

DBMaster
10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
well he did hook up something inside the engine bay. I'm not sure what it is though. he hooked it up near where the black box is. Are you serious about $60 for an O2 sensor. I'm getting one tomorrow at autozone for about $20. by the way. I like the sig. Buckaroo Banzai for the win!!!

I should have recalled the fact that the last time I priced them at Auto Zone was about five years ago or more.

Kudos on being a "Blue Blaze Irregular!"