PDA

View Full Version : Idle Surges?

dano89406
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
idle surges from 1100 to 2000 i keep reading about the fast idle screw adjustment.where the heck is it i've looked everywhere cant find it.also i've read about something about the coolant.the radiator and overflow bottle was empty.i filled the coolant but still does it.if you could send a pic or some detailed info i'd really appreciate it.I'm new to all of this.

LX-incredible
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
What submodel? Year? It would a lot easier if you noobs put the vehicle in your profiles. On injected engines the idle adjustment screw is located near the top of the throttle body, next to the line from the charcoal canister. Bleed the cooling system by opening the 12 mm bleeder screw, with the engine running. It is located on the thermostat housing.

w261w261
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
If you have a surging idle and a fuel-injected car, you might be getting air bubbles into the idle stabilizer valve, which will confuse it, resulting in your problem. To remove the air bubbles, bring the car up to temperature and open the heater to full hot. This will assure that the coolant goes through the heater core and will eventually chase out any bubbles that may be in the core. Turn off the car and wait 5 minutes. Add enough coolant to the coolant recovery bottle so that it is somewhere between the min and max mark. Now, CAREFULLY (SLOWLY), remove the radiator cap. Start the car, and open the bleeder valve, which is just past the distributor headed towards the windshield, it has a 12mm nut on it. Open it enough so that the water will come out well, it will probably be spitting as the air is released. Add coolant to the radiator as the level sinks. Keep doing this until the water stops spitting. Button things up, and don't tighten the bleed valve like a gorilla. You have now bled the cooling system.

Play around with the "search" function. You can learn a lot from the past posts.