PDA

View Full Version : Dynomax vs. MagnaFlow

Immeraufdemhund
09-16-2002, 01:20 PM
I have an 82 honda civic 1500. I called a muffler place and told him that my muffler had fallen off and i was going to switch to dynomax, since that is what i hear most people here have. He told me that he actually recommended a magnaflow over the dynomax. The only problem is cost. I have a really tight budget and need a mufler put on there. I have stock everything on the car right now, so i'm not looking for performance upgrade yet. I just tell my mom that it's cheaper to get this stuff than to go to honda and get OEM stuff. They said, rough guess, that 110 for the dynomax...pipes and muffler... and the magnaflow would be like 200+...pipes and muffler. Is this good? which should I get? Think cheap, and NOT loud or ricey

smufguy
09-16-2002, 01:35 PM
i have a friend (my friend's gf's older bro) who is undertaking INLINERACING OPtions company. He actually gave me a cost of just the magnaflow with 0% restricition which ran the cost of it upto 120 bucks while the super turbo muffler from dynomax is just mere 35 bucks. If u want performance and quiet sound and cost, go with dynomax since u dont have any other performance stuff like cams or headers or anythign of that sort. and yeah, ask them to do a 2.25 inch piping.

i am gonna go with dynomax too since the power gain of the magnaflow is not dramatically different from the dynomax.

Immeraufdemhund
09-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Excellent. That's what i was figuring. How much would it be to run that size of pipe?

bobafett
09-16-2002, 07:48 PM
if you really want cheap, buy the bends and the pipe from jcwhitney! then have them weld it together at the shop. (but make sure they could do it cheap first!) this is a good way to get the mandrel bends! :)

1988starter
09-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Yea go dynomax

smufguy
09-17-2002, 08:06 AM
normal asking cost is 200 bucks for a shop to put it in. wihch might or might not include the parts, the 200 bucks might just be for the labor. My mechanic charged me for 175 bucks when i first bought the car 2 yrs back and had him put full piping (to stock specs) from header to muffler including the cat but no resonator.

If you buy the parts and give the shop to do the job, they still might charge u around 150 to 175 or even a 200 like this muffler shop asked me to. It depends on ppl you know and what kinda shops would do a decent job and ask a decent amount. Do not go to midas or any other place where they are renouned cause they of coruse will charge u a lot. if possible, see if any of your friends or friends of ur friends would weld it. u can save a lot of money and have heck of a lot of fun doing it.

sometimes i wish i knew how to weld. damn, i would make my car a sexy beast, but oh well God did not bless me that much. eh!!

doug
09-17-2002, 09:10 AM
the biggest thing to overcome when you want to start welding is the 240 hookup, the tanks and supply shop, the space (or shop) you'll need, and the equipment cost. I suppose there is a small amount of born talent, but mostly it's practice and experience.

Immeraufdemhund
09-17-2002, 09:40 AM
My welding instructor told me to get 3 pieces of paper. Space two of them and put the 3rd piece under it. Then take a sharpie and go back and forth untill i color in the entire space. He said go anywhere from 3/8 to 1/4 of an inch on each page and try to make it look like you took a ruler and painted it. Practice that and it's nearly the same....without the heat