PDA

View Full Version : Possible Electrial Issue

Whiter
10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/643/298cqv3.jpg
My battery died recently and it was around 4 years old so i got a new one but before that my car would sound like a dying horse. Now, with the fresh battery the car seems to start (with the main relay issue that most have but i will get to that fix next week) although once the car has started if i turn on the ac, radio, lights, or anything like that, even rolling my window down; at idle the thing will stall. What do you guys think this could be? Im thinking maybe my alternator but keep in mind this thing is a junker i want to sink as little amount of money in it as possible.

Edit: Its standard so the stalling is a crusty bitch to deal with since it wont even consider cranking for 10 minutes and when it does it doesnt like to kick over.
Also since i made the thread im gonna toss more in it, so my car will run amazing when i first run it after sitting all night and then the next time i run it (lets say coming home from work 5 hours later) when i go into gears it bounces around and something tells me its not the clutch pad because it would just slip, this problem causes me to ither risk the chance of stalling out or just blast off like a loud nasty rocket at each set of lights

Thanks in advance to all.

Hauntd ca3
10-25-2007, 12:14 AM
coluld be idle air control valve sticking
it should try to increase the idle speed a bit when you put a wee load on it.
Does the clutch shudder when you try to take off?
If so you could have an oil leak in the bell housing
Or you have glazed the clutch being a hoon.
The best cure for that is a new clucth and a machined flywheel
either way its not good

Whiter
10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
haha yea ill see were that clutch plate gets me but i allready have a new one i just need it to work for 2 more weeks, this seems really weird but everything with the car runs perfectly until the second time i go to use it in a day. Also lets say i have my fog lights and a 500watt amp connected to the battery would that be enough to suck that juice away and make the car run shitty?

Whiter
10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
soo i fixed the issue turns out it was my amp just as predicted. now the car cranks beautifully every time but it wont turn over, main relay is my next plan of action i know a guy with a 88 i can snatch it out of hopefully they are the same.

w261w261
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
When the car won't fire, try removing the change drawer to the left of the steering wheel (comes right out). Look in and up, you'll see the relay up there on the left (has a connector going into the bottom of it). Give it a sharp whack with something and see if the car starts. If it does the relay is definitely the culprit. If it doesn't, the relay may still be bad, or it could be something else.

Getting the relay in is somewhat of a pain. See message #2 here:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61988. My problem was getting enough action on the ratchet wrench to move the nut, so I had to resort to a complicated assembly as I described. I recently saw a Black & Decker (or Stanley, now I can't remember) ratchet, which has a grip that twists. That way you can just put the socket over the nut and twist it off. Sounds cool, and would be great in this case, where you're putting the ratchet through a relatively small opening.

Whiter
10-25-2007, 10:19 AM
When the car won't fire, try removing the change drawer to the left of the steering wheel (comes right out). Look in and up, you'll see the relay up there on the left (has a connector going into the bottom of it). Give it a sharp whack with something and see if the car starts. If it does the relay is definitely the culprit. If it doesn't, the relay may still be bad, or it could be something else.

thanks for the advice, i gave it a shot and it didnt start but it sounded like it grabbed and then it gave up and made some nasty sounds, other then that it just keeps on cranking and i can smell gas when i do this so im sure its getting some.

EDIT: i bought a main relay for 100$ from a local honda dealer what a rip off and a half that was but o well it could be worse, the engine could have exploded in my face, anyway i got the new one because the relay i had was completely fried there was no saving it.

Hauntd ca3
10-26-2007, 01:17 AM
pull a spark plug out, put the lead back on it and place it on the head or exhaust manifold
turn the motor over and look at the plug at he same time
You should see a nice gig blue spark
if you can smell fuel but she wont fire, could quite likely be an ign prob
the electronics in the dizzy last for ages, but coils dont
If you have a muti meter check the leads for resistance as well
no more than 8 k ohms per foot
this can cause a miss fire or real weak spark, may be weak enuff to not light the fires

Whiter
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
pull a spark plug out, put the lead back on it and place it on the head or exhaust manifold
turn the motor over and look at the plug at he same time
You should see a nice gig blue spark
if you can smell fuel but she wont fire, could quite likely be an ign prob
the electronics in the dizzy last for ages, but coils dont
If you have a muti meter check the leads for resistance as well
no more than 8 k ohms per foot
this can cause a miss fire or real weak spark, may be weak enuff to not light the fires
thanks for the info ill try that out tomorrow and let you know how it goes