PDA

View Full Version : solid hub clutch's

coope
10-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a solid hub clutch from clutch net and which is better sprung or solid i got the solid because it was cheaper and everything is stage 1 will it make a diff in engagment or sum let me kno u guess i will be getting a lightweight flywheel soon if i don't like it i'll get a sprung loaded one later.

EricW
10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Sprung is better for street use. The sprung hub more forgiving and the engagement won't be as harsh as a solid hub.

Vanilla Sky
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Dead on, Eric. Unsprung disks are cheaper because they cost less to build. They're harder on your axles, transmission, and crankshaft. If you have a weak point in your drivetrain, an unsprung hub will make it show its teeth.

coope
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
dame thanx enyway i guess i'll have to deal with it

AccordB20A
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah and that usually will result in a blown CV joint or spider gears on the road and a hole in you gearbocks. (i know from experience)

Hauntd ca3
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
i'd stick with the sprung center clutch eh
As the others say, they arent as easy on drive line parts.
Great on the track,but not much else
If you want a gd clutch try either an exedy racing or an AP racing clutch.
I run an exedy item and its brilliant
i've slipped ot until it smells bad and it didnt hurt it at all
smooth engagment and can handle being dumped.

MessyHonda
10-25-2007, 01:05 AM
does anyone know the presureplate numbers on the excedy...i have one but i want something that will clamp my power and not slip when i drop the clutch.

military mase
10-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Do you have a stock replacment or a stage#? I know stage 1 has 30% more holding power than stock. I havent heard really anything bad about Exedy.

coope
10-25-2007, 07:12 PM
i heard clutchnet was the best so will it tear my trans up fast or slow i have an extra trans but i dont wanna wait for anouther clutch to come in my baby been sitting up for two months i feel sorry for her:(

Hauntd ca3
10-26-2007, 12:45 AM
have heard same bout the exedy item
even the stock replacement exedy is better than the honda item
if you want to get real stupid, you could go for an os giken multi plate jobby
you'll break every thing else before the it goes

rjudgey
10-28-2007, 03:53 AM
Well the stock disk on original Honda one is pretty strong but i'd be tempted to put the solid one in and see what it's like if it's not ceramic night not be too grabby just have to be real gently with the clutch is all. I've got a solid in mine but it's for track and drag use plus was desperate to use it as the solid disk one is the only one that would fit my stock lightened flywheel the sprung hub one from clutchnet which is well meaty needed the inside of the flywheel machining out to fit without rubbing on the inside of the plate. Not sure if you'll have the same issue (mines a 2nd Gend prelude carb smaller flywheel) But don't buy anything else either get clutchnet ally flywheel or get your flywheel off and try out the sprung clutchnet disk and see if it fits if it doesn't then have your stock flywheel machined lighter and also mod it to fit the clutchnet disk.
Don't waste money on any other clutch kits or disks stick with clutchnet they are the tits for the money and you won't buy any better period and they'll out last anything else on your car maybe even you :o)

coope
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
how do the solid feel in urs did u break enything yet how does it grab

rjudgey
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Don't know yet waiting to drop engine back in still got a head to finish before it goes anywhere!!

coope
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
well that helps alot do yall think if i just baby it until i race will it be ok.

Hauntd ca3
11-09-2007, 12:00 AM
something with a heavy duty or xtra heavy duty pressure plate and a sprung friction plate is how i'd go
still has a nice progressive engagement and will hold heaps of power
there is a company called center force that do really nice clutches
they feel nice and light with a progressive take up with a good heavy pressure plate
hold heaps of power and feel good for the street
just put one in a toyota v6 4wd ute
i ran it in
i could dial up 5k rpm, dump the clutch and it just took off
no slip, just grip
you'd prob break a drive shaft before the clutch

MessyHonda
11-09-2007, 03:07 AM
only clutch i would deal with is the clutchnet stuff, excedy(OEM) and honda...anything else might be ok but then fails.

russiankid
11-09-2007, 04:47 AM
I have an OEM replacement Exedy in my car with roughly 10,000 miles on it. It grabs great, it's smooth, no problems what so ever. I would recommend using this clutch. I am pretty sure it would be fine for you Messy, but if you are going to have more power you would need to upgrade, but i am sure it can handle the power.

Hauntd ca3
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
as said earlier in the thread, i run an exedy clutchlike russian kid and its great
nice take up and it takes abuse when you feel like it

coope
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
well should it be good if i baby it until i race or what

89T
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
coop i have a sprung 6puck and the enguagement is harsh as fuck.there is no babying it. the clutch is either in or out and that is it. be sure to let the car infront of you (at a stop light) get a head start.

coope
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
ok how is yours working out

89T
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
it's working out fine.the motor mounts are getting wore out already, time for solids.lol
the clutch is fine for racing but it kinda sucks for street use.

MessyHonda
11-18-2007, 09:17 PM
so its not recommended to get a stage 3 red PP on a excedy sprung hub?

i want something to grab quick but it still needs to be daily driven.

AccordEpicenter
11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
i never really had a problem with the 6puck sprung, its a little harsh but not terrible. I had a 3 puck unsprung and that fucker was VIOLENT. I had an exedy and it was okay for a stock type replacement but it is just that, dont even think of using it for even a semi performance application

EricW
11-18-2007, 10:01 PM
i never really had a problem with the 6puck sprung, its a little harsh but not terrible.

+1 right there with you on that.

coope
11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
what do yall mean by violent when u get off the clutch i grabs harsh or what?

MessyHonda
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
what do yall mean by violent when u get off the clutch i grabs harsh or what?

yeah it means it will grab hard....so say drinking to Starfuck bye bye...cuz its going to be all over you.

coope
11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
what does starfuck mean

AccordEpicenter
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
yeah they can chatter bad and engage abruptly

MessyHonda
11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
what does starfuck mean

starbucks coffee....its like aids its everywhere.

coope
11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
if i do run with it how long do you think it will last i got a new tranny and axels so how long will they last

AccordEpicenter
11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
depending on how you drive em usually the clutches last 25-40k miles with alot of city driving, depends how much abuse you give it. I wouldnt worry about the trans or axles, i ran a huge gorilla type clutch and it was way nastier than anything youll need and it was fine

coope
12-08-2007, 07:56 PM
ok i got the car up and going clutch feels great its not that bad just a little adjustiing and wa la its good i raced a 240sx tonight beat his ass good the clutch grabs really well just cant dump it when in second feels snatchy then but i kno i wasn't supposed to race so really but i won 20 bucks new trans feels good to. OH and thanx to Trussian kid big ups to him helped me with the clutch cable and thanx to all yall

MessyHonda
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
ok i got the car up and going clutch feels great its not that bad just a little adjustiing and wa la its good i raced a 240sx tonight beat his ass good the clutch grabs really well just cant dump it when in second feels snatchy then but i kno i wasn't supposed to race so really but i won 20 bucks new trans feels good to. OH and thanx to Trussian kid big ups to him helped me with the clutch cable and thanx to all yall

DONT RACE....you need to break in that clutch at least 500 miles...il guess you will be doing another clutch job soon

AccordEpicenter
12-09-2007, 12:57 AM
it depends what kind of clutch. If its a 6 or 4 puck clutch you can pretty much go to town on them right away

coope
12-09-2007, 05:29 PM
ok then i'll do it but it's so dame tempting lol

russiankid
12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
ok then i'll do it but it's so dame tempting lol

Just drive around a lot.Don't dump the clutch and you should be ok.

Civic Accord Honda
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
i remember when my car got the clutch done lol you could not even start going with out burning out lol that clutch was dame stiff

russiankid
12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
i remember when my car got the clutch done lol you could not even start going with out burning out lol that clutch was dame stiff

It's because you didn't take time to learn the clutch. Mine grabbed right off the floor when i first took it for a drive. I didn't stall it, i only stalled going up the driveway.

Civic Accord Honda
12-10-2007, 05:36 AM
no my step dad was only driving it back then and it was becuz there was no slack on the pedel and it was stiff as fuck
stage 2 is alot stiffer then oem
i later fucked my clutch up when i started driving it but im good at it now