PDA

View Full Version : manual tranny problem/leak

partyharty
10-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I just got back from the mechanic ($274 lighter) and they gave me some (probably bad) news about my new accord.

They said that the manual tranny was about 2 quarts low on oil (10W30) and that they filled it up but it had a pretty bad leak at one of the seals and that the fluid was leaking. Basically he couldnt tell me any more than that but he said that I needed to get it to a tranny shop.

Question,
Does anyone know (from the great description I gave/got above :huh:) what this could be? I havent climbed under there yet (Its a bit of a crunch for me to get under this car). I am guessing its from an axle seal (as that was the general area they were working in (they replaced a cv joint and a tie rod end).

By the way this is a
1987 Honda Accord Lxi (silver)
manual tranny
180,000 on the ole ticker

Thanks,
Chris

AccordB20A
10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
your guess would be correct my friend. Axle seals like to leak. They dont cost much to replace aparently but you have to drain the gearbox oil and remove the axle to replace the seal.

w261w261
10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
So far, my tranny hasn't ever leaked a drop (198k). However, the next time I put in a new half-shaft, might it be a good idea to replace the tranny seal, or is it a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" kind of thing?

Hauntd ca3
10-26-2007, 01:22 AM
dont know why you guys all run 10w/30 in trannies
i have no worries with 80/90 gear oil
but any hoo the output shaft seals are the most likely suspects
when you do get a chance to do them just make sure you get them going in square all the way in
if you dont ,they have a habit of twisting and staying that way even if they look good
then they'll leak worse than ever
or ust wear out after a few hundy ks

russiankid
10-26-2007, 03:49 AM
It is most likely the axle seal. To replace it, you would need to get the seal from Honda. Then drain the tranny and remove the axle. Using a screw driver you can take out the old seal, but be careful. When putting in the new seal, putting some oil around it makes it go in easier. You have to make sure that you don't rush and get the seal in there as straight as possible. I replaced both of mine when i had the tranny off and so far no leak.

partyharty
10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone,

So basically from what I am getting is that I get to go in and undo/redo the work that these mechanics did (when replacing the axle), to replace a seal. Ya know I always seem to have luck like this.

Here I thought I was getting away with something by getting a mechanic to do the work when in the end I get to go in and redo it anyways. Ya know I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars if I would have done it myself (I am pretty sure if I had noticed the leak when I was doing the axle I would have replaced the seal prior to putting the new axle in).

Oh well live and learn I guess.

-Chris

russiankid
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone,

So basically from what I am getting is that I get to go in and undo/redo the work that these mechanics did (when replacing the axle), to replace a seal. Ya know I always seem to have luck like this.

Here I thought I was getting away with something by getting a mechanic to do the work when in the end I get to go in and redo it anyways. Ya know I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars if I would have done it myself (I am pretty sure if I had noticed the leak when I was doing the axle I would have replaced the seal prior to putting the new axle in).

Oh well live and learn I guess.

-Chris
That is how it is with these Accords, it's trial and error.

MessyHonda
10-26-2007, 12:27 PM
fill it up with honda manual tranny fluid if you have a manual...i paid like 3 bucks a quart but its good stuff. it saved my tranny and i put 4k miles on it and the tranny still works.

'A20A3'
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
GM synchromesh FTW

partyharty
12-21-2007, 10:40 AM
well I thought i would put an end to this thread. I ended up taking the car to another mechanic (one of the problems of working 90 hours a week is not being able to do your own mechanic work).

The other mechanic looked at it and said that it looked like they screwed the seal when they put in the axle (not sure how he would be able to tell that). Anyways he is replacing the other axle :wtf: because he said it is loose. He also has replaced the seal and put new tires on the car. All in all its not too bad of a deal (he is charging a bit less than the other mechanic and seems to be better at what he is doing).

So when it finally gets on the road it will have 4 new tires, 2 new axles, new thermostat, new starter bolts, new radiator hoses, and some other little stuff. I really hope this thing lasts a while although as of right now I am out a little over $1500 (including the price of the car).

-Chris