PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearing Noise

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Well it comes down to this now. i have a bad loud noise coming form my right rear wheel bearing. I have tested it (ie lifted car up and rotated it and that is what it is). So I have read some threds about this and I was wondering, if the bearing looks good yall think I could get away with lubing it up and going with it, or yall think I should get a new assy.? Or just try to find a bearing and have the old one pressed off and new one pressed on? Im kinda tight on money or otherwise id go for the third option right away.

Hauntd ca3
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
for what it costs, get the new one.
Wasnt aware that they have unit bearing on the back aswell
Always assumed they had a cup and cone type

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
^It usually only comes as a whole assembly. The bearing/Hub assy.

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Bump

Ichiban
10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
You can't really do much to fix the bearing, it's making noise because it has damage causing excessive internal clearances. As the wear continues, the clearances will increace. You could lose that wheel.

Replace it.

MessyHonda
10-26-2007, 03:53 PM
perfect time to upgrade to se-i set up.

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
perfect time to upgrade to se-i set up.

I guess you didnt read the part stating that i didnt have any money. :0

MessyHonda
10-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I guess you didnt read the part stating that i didnt have any money. :0

get them for free. like all your other stuff.

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Im not gonna steal em. XD

Oldblueaccord
10-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Grease and adjust maybe ?

wp

conozo
10-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I dont know how tight you are for money but I got a new right rear wheel/hub from autozone a year ago for $110 i think. It has worked fine for me since and has about 20,000 miles on it so far.

mushroom_toy
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
^Damn $110 is expensive...whole thing here is only like $60. But thats the thing I really dont have 60....i may lube it up and see how that is for a while.

2oodoor
10-27-2007, 03:37 AM
I dont think you can lube it, isnt it a permanent sealed type bearing?
You could try the JY and get the whole thing from a used car. let them mark it so in case you get a bad one.

is there any flop in that wheel at all? sometimes they are noilsy and go a while that way before urgent repair is needed (or when you get cash) dont try it if the wheel is getting a lot of excess play though. sometimes misalignment of that wheel makes the bearing noisy and will eventually damage it.

mushroom_toy
10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I dont think you can lube it, isnt it a permanent sealed type bearing?
You could try the JY and get the whole thing from a used car. let them mark it so in case you get a bad one.

is there any flop in that wheel at all? sometimes they are noilsy and go a while that way before urgent repair is needed (or when you get cash) dont try it if the wheel is getting a lot of excess play though. sometimes misalignment of that wheel makes the bearing noisy and will eventually damage it.

Yeah the wheel has no movement side to side or anything, only when its spinning. Its been bad for a while, as the noise has been there a long time, probably started sometime after I got the car. I used to just have the stereo up to drown it out.

LX-incredible
10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
RockAuto has koyos for around $60 each. You could try to force some grease between the two inner races, but it probably won't solve your problem.

2oodoor
10-27-2007, 01:53 PM
just an opinion.. mine has been doing it a while too, no slop in the wheel, and no constrant drone pitch yet so I keep on riding.
It really sounds like it is coming from the RR wheel but after reading some posts on the subject I am wondering if it isnt in the front cv axle (audible illusion?)

mushroom_toy
10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
^Mine is the rear. I had it up in the air and spun each wheel. The rr was the one making the noise.