PDA

View Full Version : lights still not working

import racer
10-27-2007, 11:57 AM
well spend the afternoon trying to get my lights to work.got no dash lights,parking lights and hazard lights only work on one side.i fixed some wires that were coroded in a plug down in the kick panel and took neg terminal off the bat and put test light between them and it lit.so i knew i had a short ,so started taking fuses out one by one and the light went out as soon as i pulled the int light fuse.so my problem is something to do with them too.anybody got any ideas what to do.

LX-incredible
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a combo switch problem. I believe it was russiankid, who had a great how-to on disassembling and cleaning the contacts.

cygnus x-1
11-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Electrical problems are a pain to find. First check all the fuses. Then check the bulbs. Then start tracing the wires back until you find the bad connections. A schematic will be very helpful. I think somewhere in the sticky threads there is a link to the service manuals.

C|

2oodoor
11-03-2007, 04:38 PM
corroded wires in the circuit, that is not good at all.
Have you ever pulled the carpet up ? The rust on top of the fuel tank and corroded wires, all sound like deep water.

Find the common denominator of the problems and use logic, multifunction switch, ignition switch are both good places to start.
\/
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61474
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61474

import racer
11-03-2007, 05:05 PM
the light problem is on my exi that i am trying to gett on the road,the fuel problem is my lx that i am driving now.and yes the carpet is out of the exi, had to fix the floor.the interior lights have a short in them,put test light between the neg cable and neg terminal on batt and it lit.so i know i have a short there but not sure where guess i'll just have to unhook things till light goes out.

2oodoor
11-03-2007, 05:29 PM
the light problem is on my exi that i am trying to gett on the road,the fuel problem is my lx that i am driving now.and yes the carpet is out of the exi, had to fix the floor.the interior lights have a short in them,put test light between the neg cable and neg terminal on batt and it lit.so i know i have a short there but not sure where guess i'll just have to unhook things till light goes out.

that doesnt neccessarily mean you have a short, think about it, what makes the light bulb light up. That hot blazing filiment IS a short, controled short controlled by the wattage of the bulb.
There is a draw making the test ight come on, which could be anything circuit that is closed (turned on)

import racer
11-03-2007, 05:46 PM
the why does the lightgo out when i pull the int light fuse under the hood.

Hauntd ca3
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
coz you are breaking the circuit
the fuse just connects the positive side of the circuit.

LX-incredible
11-04-2007, 12:18 AM
well spend the afternoon trying to get my lights to work.got no dash lights,parking lights and hazard lights only work on one side.i fixed some wires that were coroded in a plug down in the kick panel and took neg terminal off the bat and put test light between them and it lit.so i knew i had a short ,so started taking fuses out one by one and the light went out as soon as i pulled the int light fuse.so my problem is something to do with them too.anybody got any ideas what to do.

So you but a test light between the negative battery terminal and the disconnected negative cable? The light went out when you pulled the int light fuse? Did you happen to have a door open while doing this?

The circuit that powers the all of the parking lights and the dash lights goes through the combo switch and then splits off. When you turn the hazard switch on it connects left and right and receives power from the hazard circuit instead of the parking light circuit. I would say the the problem is with the switch or the wiring to the lights. Also check the second fuse from the top right in the dash fuse box (15 A).

import racer
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
well put the headlight fuses in,and when i turn on the headligts,the passenger side one went closed.i had them opened manually.when i pushed the button on the dash the same thing happened,it went closed.what is wrong ,its like its wired backwards.

LX-incredible
11-04-2007, 11:38 AM
What are you having problems with, the parking/dash lights, the retractors, or both?

LX-incredible
11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Have you replaced a motor or linkage? It may be possible that you bolted the linkage to the retractor the wrong way. There are 2 switches inside the retractor, 180 degrees apart, that tell the control unit when the light is fully open or closed. If you attached the linkage incorrectly, the control unit would shut the motor off in the down position instead of up. Are you getting the red headlight indicator at any time? Does the light try to open when you turn the lights off?

This is what I'm talking about, you need to take your time to explain this shit. Address possible questions before they are asked, because you obviously have a problem with answering them...

import racer
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
i didn't do anything to the lights, they were like this when i bought it.i have parking lights,brake lights,headlights but no dash lights .the dome light works to.

LX-incredible
11-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Do the selector lights on the ac buttons dim when the lights are turned on? You may want to pull the multi switch out and check that the wires going to the dimmer and headlight open switch are connected properly and in good order.

import racer
11-04-2007, 03:54 PM
you mean the one in the column where the wiper switch is.i checked the position of the arm on the light motors on my other car,and they are the same on the exi .so the motors can't be connected wrong.the arms are facing back on both cars with the jlights up.

LX-incredible
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
No, the switches on the dash.(light control, dimmer, and defroster)

The arm can be installed onto the retractor shaft when the motor is in the up position and the headlight is down. It should only install one way, but it's not too hard to force it on the wrong way. Believe me, I've done it. While the light is down, unbolt the nut on the shaft, lift the light and reinstall the arm. it will now be rotated 180 degrees.
I would do this ONLY if the light also goes up when you turn them off.

You need to answer the questions that I am giving you, it helps me to narrow down the problem.

import racer
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
i switch the arm on the motor but got to wait til i rewire the headlight motor,the idiot had every wire spliced.they were just twisted together and taped.still trying to fix leakstoo.somewhere around the hood hinges i think.so many problems with this car the guy i got it from really fucked it up.don't think he had a clue what he was doing.

lostforawhile
11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
i switch the arm on the motor but got to wait til i rewire the headlight motor,the idiot had every wire spliced.they were just twisted together and taped.still trying to fix leakstoo.somewhere around the hood hinges i think.so many problems with this car the guy i got it from really fucked it up.don't think he had a clue what he was doing.as far as the leaks,there are two rubber pieces that fit in the corners of the cowl cover,they have to align with the gutter on the edge of the windshield. they are drain channels. water runs down the gutter on the windshield edge,into the rubber channels,and down into the drains that dump out at the bottom of the fender.

import racer
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
yea i know but my cowl is off and i'm getting water on the floor everytime it rains.i took a pitcher of water and poured it down over the windshield and nothing.then i poured water over the hinge and i had water running down the floor. i had some rust around there before so i cleaned off and fiberglassed it on both sides.

LX-incredible
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
i switch the arm on the motor but got to wait til i rewire the headlight motor,the idiot had every wire spliced.they were just twisted together and taped.still trying to fix leakstoo.somewhere around the hood hinges i think.so many problems with this car the guy i got it from really fucked it up.don't think he had a clue what he was doing.
Whoa, I don't remember you saying anything about the motor being rewired. I would check it very carefully, your problem is probably there.

lostforawhile
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
yea i know but my cowl is off and i'm getting water on the floor everytime it rains.i took a pitcher of water and poured it down over the windshield and nothing.then i poured water over the hinge and i had water running down the floor. i had some rust around there before so i cleaned off and fiberglassed it on both sides.thats your door seal,water drains over it,it gets pinched right there and takes a set,then water runs under it. i've heard people on here have cleaned theirs with simple green and it sealed better.

import racer
11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
well i had my seal off the body and cleaned them and put them back on with weather strip adhesive, the 3m stuff.also went over the rubbers with silicone spray.gonna try and solder the motor wires back up on headlight motor.hope it stays warm out , i gotta work on it outside, no garage.

import racer
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
ok today i fixed all the wires to pass side headlight motor and move arm 180.voila it works.but the drivers side still won't open or close.unplugged the motor and connected to bat and it works.so no power from harness.is there anything i should look for that i didn't check,any other fuses or relays or switches.i'm gonna check the wiring tommorow.

lostforawhile
11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
try swapping the manual ligts up switch and the control module,small gray box under the dash says stanley retracable control. eithier from a yard or maby someone on here has one cheap.