PDA

View Full Version : Help!

mamastu97
10-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I have a 90 Accord Lx with a hole in my engine. The guy who was going to switch out engines for us ( when we found one) said that maybe we could patch the hole and only drive off 3 cylinders instead of all 4. Is that possible? It would just be a temp fix till we had the money to get a new engine. I am a stay at home mom who needs my car running. I am not ready to give up on the car cause we have already put so much work and money into it as it is.

MessyHonda
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
if your engine has a hole its going to better to replace it with another one. car would not run good with 3 cly because the cam will still spray in fuel and its not going to get burned.

Hauntd ca3
10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
if you've hole a piston,something is seriously wrong with your motor
its either way lean and has melted it or its pinging and blown a hole in it.
the only options are a new motor or a re build
new motor is cheaper.
do the fuel filter while you're at it
a clogged filter can cause lean out which will cause pinging and will melt things

labeledsk8r
10-27-2007, 07:07 PM
i would not recomend running a car on 3 cyls, i mean it can be done for a short short time, as in 10 miles mayby? no mech that i can think of would even recomend this as a fix as its very unsafe. did it blow a hole out the side of the block? and what was at fault? if it was the piston that cracked it then there probably loose metel floating around in there still. you best bet is to get a used engine and drop it in and thats a 1990 so its a F22 engine so its very easy to find on the cheep. good luck

mamastu97
10-27-2007, 07:57 PM
the fuel pump and filter are new. just got them back in may. my husband threw a rod which is why we have a hole in the engine. another question i had was what would cause chunks of metal to end up in my trany? the hole is bottom front of engine. i was just hoping that we could fix the whole temp.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2007, 08:14 PM
All the work,time involved to patch up the motor to run on 3 cylinders you could pull it out and swap in a new(used) one.

A quick down and dirty shop on the bad side of town, a junkyard off the road somewhere could sell you a motor and have it in in about 4 hours.

A Honda junkyard about 45 mins from here it be $300 for the motor $300 to put it in and a 30 day warrenty if they fire it up.

wp

labeledsk8r
10-27-2007, 08:16 PM
you had chunks of metel in the transmition aswell? was he traveling at a semi high speed? if when the rod blew it coulda locked up the engine wich would cause the tranny to lock aswell wich could break a gear or other transmition part? mayby? sad to say it might be cheeper to pick up another car if both the engine and transmition is shot

Hauntd ca3
10-27-2007, 11:06 PM
thrown a rod! what the hell was he doing
a thrown rod dosnt usually damage trannies
would think that any trans damage was done earlier in the piece.
posibly striped a gear and its over reved to hell and thronw the rod
i mean no motor will take full revs with no load without damaging it in some way, they're just not designed for it

mamastu97
10-28-2007, 06:15 AM
where is here? i live in kcmo