PDA

View Full Version : Lower ball joint broke at low speed...TG!

1989accordaz
10-27-2007, 05:11 PM
1989 accord, AT.

Just happen to stop at in intersection, proceeded to make a right turn and then something snapped on the driver's side wheel and then my steering got locked.

So I get off the car, look at my wheel and is shifted away from the car, just the opposite direction from where I was steering at. My lower ball joint broke, thank God I was not going at high speed, otherwise I would have flipped like a hamburger on labor day weekend.

So my driver's side half-shaft separated at the transmission end. Ripping the boot and dropping the bearings.

So I got a new half-shaft and lower ball joint. I should probably replace the upper arm since the boot is ripped, but I think I'll just grease it and hope it holds until I get the money to replace it. Oh well.

Any tips and pointers on putting everything back?

Thanks!

LX-incredible
10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Probably a good idea to replace the UCA when you get a chance. Be sure to get a quality one with good bushings. When you replace the lower ball joint, check to make sure that the hole in the lower arm isn't egg-shaped from the nut being improperly tightened. Replace the LCA if the hole is deformed or you will risk breakage of the new joint. It is easiest to remove the knuckle, take it in, have the old joint pressed out, and the new pressed in. If you decide to try it yourself, be sure to remove the snap ring first. Where in Tucson are you?

fogged
10-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Just be happy it was the lower and not the upper, those fuckers arent cheep. But the lower is an easy fix.

Hauntd ca3
10-27-2007, 11:52 PM
depending on the model, you either have an arm with a press in joint or one where the joint is part of the arm.
mine has the later
would be worth investingating if the two are swapible
talkin top arms

1989accordaz
10-28-2007, 03:57 PM
On mine, the upper ball joint is part of the arm. I am not gonna change it yet, I am gonna wait until I have a budget for both upper arms. Now, I haven't put it back together, because I was waiting until the machine shops are open on Monday because I can't press out the wheel hub. So it happens that one of the studs on the wheel that had the ball joint problem was broken off. So I am going to have that installed as well, since I have the steering knuckle off the car.

LX-incredible, I am on the east side of town. Speedway/Harrison area.

MessyHonda
10-28-2007, 06:19 PM
i replaced both my lower ball joints with moog ball joints. so far they are good....i had to get mine hammered out. its all ways a good idea to replace supension parts since you dont want them to take a dump at 70mph

AccordB20A
10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
my mate did the exact same thing in his civic. was turning right but his left lower balljoint broke. Both of you guys are lucky it didnt come off at high speed that cd be real bad.

tuxdreamerx
10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Just be happy it was the lower and not the upper, those fuckers arent cheep. But the lower is an easy fix.

tell me about it mine had to be replaced not too long after I got the car. I cant remeber the cost but it was lots of $$$ I had a shop do it too...

1989accordaz
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Just to close this thread:

When installing the halfshaft, I had to swap the new inboard CV joint with the old one, because the new one would just not go in and I was running out of patience. That was basically the only problem I had when putting everything back. The number of splines matched and everything, oh well. Doesn't matter, the old inboard cv joint is in perfect shape.

I am going to replace the upper control arms and the ball joint for the front right oon. I don't want to temp fate. I guess that is why is called " preventive maintenance"

FYI: I noticed, before my ball joint broke, that when my car shifted gears, I could feel my steering wheel "twitch" for a lack of a better word. It was noticeable at low speeds and even more at high speeds. By "twitch" I mean that it would shift to higher gear and the steering wheel would move right and then back very quickly, just a fraction of an inch or so. And now that I replaced the ball joint and the half axle the "twitch" is gone. So if this is happening to you, heads up, you may find this info useful.

lostforawhile
11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
not trying to hijack this thread,but CAH read this!!!!! if you don't something about yours this is going to happen to you. it's not a matter of if,it's a matter of when. i've seen the pictures of your suspension. and you might not be so lucky.