PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gear Grind! AHHHHH!

Accy
09-16-2002, 04:07 PM
I've got this problem when changing in to reverse on my 5spd. No matter how far I push down the clutch or how slow or fast I slide it in there :pimp: It always grinds! I tried adjusting the clutch cable but its @ the max that I can adj. it! Please someone help me before I wear down my gears.

Thanx

shepherd79
09-16-2002, 04:24 PM
i have the same problem.
as i always say, "can't find it, grind it".

Dutchboy
09-16-2002, 04:58 PM
when changing make sure your almost completely stopped and go from 2nd to reverse....try it and see if it helps..

BEn

YK86
09-16-2002, 05:20 PM
The reverse has no syncro so you need to go into a forward gear (I put it in 1st) and then you can pop it into reverse.

My 89 Accord Lxi
09-16-2002, 07:23 PM
mine does that sometimes when im trying to goto 2nd and it barks and i start spining

Grant2k
09-16-2002, 07:55 PM
mine does that really inconsistently. sometimes it seems like it has to do with tempurature, or if i park on a hill, but then the car proves me wrong. i have to try that putting it in a foward gear first.

smufguy
09-16-2002, 08:25 PM
it always grinds for me and i do it like yasu does. put it in first and then put in reverse.

87pimpsterdocious
09-16-2002, 11:16 PM
I always put mine in second then reverse because as yasu says, there's no syncro on the reverse gear.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-16-2002, 11:24 PM
It even says in the owners manual to put it in any forward gear first, then reverse to prevent grinding. I've been doing that and never get any grinding :)

YK86
09-16-2002, 11:37 PM
If your tranny grinds when you downshift to second, the syncro is going. It's actually quite common on 80's Honda trannies. Just give it an extra second after pressing the clutch in then downshift.

original2k
09-17-2002, 04:35 AM
yeah i have the same problem with the reverse, i never knew about the 1st gear thing tho, i'll try it right now as i go start my car hehe, i usually remedy it by shifting into it really slow, but then again, i need a new clutch all together heh, any know about that prelude clutch they sell on ebay? i think there's a how to on installing a clutch so it mustn't be that hard, how do u adjust your sychro and exactly does it do?

Accy
09-17-2002, 06:45 AM
See thats the problem. Great that you guys are suggesting that I put it into a forward gear first, but thats where the problem arises. Havent tried the 2nd gear thing. Sometimes it grinds other times nothing. I get the most grinding after moving forward a bit!
Thanks

87accordlxph
09-17-2002, 08:10 AM
I always run the shfter thru all the gears (when I sit still) and then reverse. Always works well.

-Mike

Dutchboy
09-17-2002, 09:15 AM
you cant adjust the synchrose.. you have to replace them,,,and a clutch is ok to change if your mechanically inclined other wise you will probably end up stuck halfway and then youve got a situation on your hands..

my old accord had no synchros in 2nd but you learn to change without grinding while playing with the clutch and engine speed...usually i just pulled it out of gear without the clutch ..pressed it in and shifted ordo it quick enough hardly hear it.:super:

Ben

1989 DX R
09-17-2002, 12:55 PM
Mine would grind real bad until I got my new clutch in. Now it shifts nice and easy. Still feels like a damn truck shift, but its all good.

doug
09-17-2002, 01:41 PM
I replaced axles this last weekend and drained and refilled the gearbox. I used Penzoil 20W-50 for some unknown reason. The last couple days my shifts have been real smooth and the reverse thing doesn't grind as it did before. I just hope my axles and boots and gearbox last a good while. I got some new lower ball joints at Autozone for 30 bucks each and some new upper ball joints for my Prelude arms for 38 bucks each. I can really tell the difference in the ball joints, the old ones will swing around easy, the new ones take effort to get them to move at all. Once I get the new ones in (maybe Sunday) it's gonna be tighter for sure. BTW, Autozone has a rental for the balljoint press and remover.

3rd GEN
09-17-2002, 09:12 PM
ya.. mine has been doin the same...
it grinds.. then makes a " clunk" like an automatic would....
but even if i put it in 1st first..it still grinds..

but recently, mine has been doin the same when putting it into 1st...
like when gearing down approaching a stop...
I will go from second, and if i put it in first.. it grinds...
unless i am going less then 20kms.. and put it in first...
like i go from second, put the clutch in and put into first.. still keeping the clutch in... it will grind...

and this has only been since i got my new Centreforce dual fric clutch put it..

I had my clutch cable disconnect completely the day after i had it put in..so they had to tighten it..
but now...I dunno why it does what it's doin

YK86
09-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Maybe they didn't adjust your cable properly and it's not releasing enough. If it seems to grab sooner when you let the clutch out, then it might be too loose.

3rd GEN
09-17-2002, 09:55 PM
i dunno.. i think the clutch is too good for my old granny tranny...

even when drivin down the street.. like if i am just cruisin along like lets say 60kms... and if i am in 3rd or 4th.. the car has a jolting motion... like the cluth wants to go...but the tranny doesn't..haha

I have also noticed, i am having more difficulty reachng speeds like 140km/h...before i could hit 180km/h no prob...

YK86
09-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Maybe it is the flywheel then. If it feels like it's skipping and not fully grabbing like i describe in the other thread, then the flywheel surface might be scorched (which would mean they didn't resurface it). But that wouldn't have much to do with gear grinding though. Are you sure they installed the clutch right??