PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

MoDawG
10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
It never had a cap on the overflow reservoir, so we got one and put it on it yesterday. Today while driving, one of his heater hoses cracked and it over heated. We got him a new hose and installed it, topped it up with coolant and drove it for a bit and it over heated again. I checked the fan and it seems the fan is not turning on for some reason, there is power @ the fuse and relay. What do you guys think?

M3Galaxie
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't know specifically about these cars, but one way to check if a relay is bad..is to use a piece of wire to jump around it, and see if the fan kicks on.

russiankid
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Did you bleed the system?

MoDawG
10-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Did you bleed the system?

How do you bleed the system?

I don't know specifically about these cars, but one way to check if a relay is bad..is to use a piece of wire to jump around it, and see if the fan kicks on.

Can you please elaborate? how to jump it from where to where?

russiankid
10-28-2007, 06:24 PM
How do you bleed the system?

On the thermostat housing, there is a bleed bolt. Its a 10mm bolt with a hole in the center. The thermostat housing, trace the upper radiator house until there isn't anymore hose. That is the thermostat housing. Let the engine warm up and have the radiator cap off, and open the bleed bold until the flow of coolant is steady and not in bursts. Then close the bolt, not to tight, and put the radiator cap on. Then go for a drive, should be fine. Also the thermostat may be stuck closed, thats a possibility of overheating. If bleeding didn't help i would replace the thermostat.

Demon1024
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
mines 12mm. you did try jumping the fan right off the battery right?

MoDawG
10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
mines 12mm. you did try jumping the fan right off the battery right?

No it was getting dark out there and the wires are like at the bottom couldnt see shit, Can you show me how to do it exactly? Im not too good with electric

Demon1024
10-29-2007, 12:00 AM
ok. try this, DISCONECT YOUR BATTERY!!!

THEN try spinning the fan with your hand but first see above.

if it turns easy then when it's light unhook the plug for it ,just look for the wires going to it, and hook a wire too the battery for the pos and one for the neg then stick the ends to the plug i don't think it matters which one too which one, it'll change the rotation if u hook it up backwards but it should still work. if it starts turning your fan is still good.

fogged
10-29-2007, 10:24 AM
If you have to replace the theemosat get one from a honda dealer ALL aftermarket one are shit. The spring is stronger in a dealer one.

MoDawG
10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
I guess its the fan thermosensor, I shorted the wires today and it ran. I wonder how much they are