PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan seal replacement

russiankid
10-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I have an aftermarket oil pan and i have replaced the seal 7 times already, and every single time it leaks in about the same spot. I have tried using sealant in that spot with no luck. I want to know, with the new Honda pan i am getting and Honda seal, where should i put the sealant. The shop manual says to put it in the corners on the block. So the block only, or somewheres else on the pan? Also do you guys recommend any type of sealant to use? I have RTV(silver) sealant.

MessyHonda
10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
damn....7 times...i would be pissed after the 2nd leak....i used a honda OEM gasket and some rtv silver...and i did not drive it for a day so the seal would hold...so far my pacesetter downpipe is happy its not oil covered.

88Accord-DX
10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Sounds like you have a warped or bad spot on the pan. That or imperfection in the block. Rubber & RTV isn't a good combination BTW.

I went through a oil pan gasket change a couple times, finally to see my oil filter base was leaking.

russiankid
10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Sounds like you have a warped or bad spot on the pan. That or imperfection in the block. Rubber & RTV isn't a good combination BTW.

I went through a oil pan gasket change a couple times, finally to see my oil filter base was leaking.

I am sure the block is not at fault because the original pan and seal didn't leak to bad, it had a crack in the seal. After not being able to remove the gasket from the pan went ahead and got a new aftermarket pan.

What type of sealant do you recommend using?

88Accord-DX
10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
What type of sealant do you recommend using?

Generally, most rubber gaskets don't require RTV & cause some problems, but some of these guys say Honda-bond works, then try that. I've never tried it. Personally, OEM pan gasket & new after-market pan should do the trick. I think people use silicon on the corners to help keep the gasket it place, not so much a sealing purpose. So use any of that silicon sparingly.

russiankid
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
If i put some just in case, shouldn't hurt anything?

88Accord-DX
10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
If i put some just in case, shouldn't hurt anything?

No, but-
If your using it to hold the gasket on the pan. Let it set up for about 8 hours. If you just slap RTV on & go to put the pan on, your not going to get any good results. That gasket will flop right off while your having a hard time getting the pan up in there.

tuxdreamerx
10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I just replaced my oil pan gasket last night. and I still have a leak but its my oil filter base... thats not gonna be fun. but I just used a little high temp adhesive and glued it to the pan a bit and then slapped it on... I hope thats not bad. anyways are you over tightening your bolts I did that and thats why I had to replace the oil pan gasket with only like 3000 miles on it....

Edit: A nutdriver is what I used to tighten the bolts then a 1/4 turn from a 1/4 ratchet.

Blk87dx
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
i also have the same problem ive replaced mine 5 times and had a shop do it once with honda bond and still no luck, im starting to get agrivated with this, it didnt leak when i first took it of but now since i but a different oil pan on it leaks like a civ.

russiankid
10-29-2007, 03:50 AM
I just replaced my oil pan gasket last night. and I still have a leak but its my oil filter base... thats not gonna be fun. but I just used a little high temp adhesive and glued it to the pan a bit and then slapped it on... I hope thats not bad. anyways are you over tightening your bolts I did that and thats why I had to replace the oil pan gasket with only like 3000 miles on it....

Edit: A nutdriver is what I used to tighten the bolts then a 1/4 turn from a 1/4 ratchet.

No i am not over tightening the bolts. I will try to glue the seal onto the pan if needed. My brother showed me a trick with fishing line. You put it through the holes and tighten it down a little bit so the gasket holds. Then when you put the pan on and a few bolts in, just cut the line and take it out.

tuxdreamerx
10-29-2007, 07:17 AM
No i am not over tightening the bolts. I will try to glue the seal onto the pan if needed. My brother showed me a trick with fishing line. You put it through the holes and tighten it down a little bit so the gasket holds. Then when you put the pan on and a few bolts in, just cut the line and take it out.

Nice trick wish I wouldve thought about it I have thousands of zip ties