PDA

View Full Version : Ok, let's talk paint colors/schemes.....

RamThis
10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Ok, I'm looking at some mods to the body of my car, mostly I've already debadged it, removed the roof mount antenna, shaved the little trim strips on the roof near the rear window on both sides,and plan to rework the areas where the bump trim goes to get rid of the trim and have a mild body style line down the side, which I have not done yet.

I'm thinking about mixing up my car a bit and doing a two-tone. But, Im having trouble coming up with the perfect color to compliment the light metallic blue. And, what pinstripe color to seperate them with. And where the break should be.

I'm thinking of breaking the paint about where the factory pinstripe was. As for the lower half, I was thinking a medium metallic gray, something with a similar metallic as the factory paint that I'm going with. But I'm just not sure what it's going to look like. And for the pinstripe, I have no clue!

So, give me some ideas. I like simple designs. Not going crazy or anything with it. Not wanting to change the color of the car alltogether, only compliment the blue somehow. No fades, no flames, no ricer bs. Also keep in mind the car will be all color keyed when Im done. No black strip on the bumpers, no black door trim, painted mirrors.

Only reason Im thinking about spicing up the paint now, is because it looks like Im definitely NOT going to have tim to do shit to this car this year. I've run out of good weather and with these two kids I have no phukin time to get anything done. So, next spring, come hell or high water, I am getting some more shop equipment, mainly a MillerMatic 252 Mig welder, and want to do some body mods and thought, maybe something a bit fancier with the paint would set it apart from the rest of the old Hondas. And of course, the new baby will be toddling by then, wife wont be in near breakdown mode all the time which requires me to basically sit around and wait till she is close to meltdown and take over (because if I get involved in body work and she loses it, she'd be a whimpering pile on the floor by time I got everything cleaned up and put away so I could deal with the kids, so I dont even try starting anything right now) (Damnit)

Anyone else feel my frustration?????????

Anyway yeah back on topic. Paint colors/schemes. Lemme know what you think and your ideas!

fogged
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I hear you on the wife and kids thing. I like the color you have. Me I would go 2 or 3 shades darker than you have now for the lower half, and do the grey to strip the car. That give you the mild look, and puts you miles away from stock Hondas of the better kind. 3g that is. As for the welder I have a Miller pro 300 and it rocks.

2oodoor
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I feel your pain
2 kids, 3 cars and a house to maintain, primary cook and cheif bottle washer

I have been trying to get an oil pump and new cam gear and belt on for two months.. great weather now but I was sick as hell all last week.

the paint, the style you want.. you should just draw a accord and make some copies and get some pencils .. play with it some..
You can do the cut around the wheel wells, eddie bauer style, down along the rocker
YOu can cut it at the old pinstripe mark.
You can cut it just in front of the quarters to give it a aerodeck proflile.. the back of the car a different color.
I friend of mine had a 4th gen and did it sort of like the harley davidson trucks, that copper orange metalic on top and black on the bottom, and did a tribal type graphic about 3.5 -4 inches wide like a band all the way around the dividing colors.. it overlayed black on the orange..looked classy not ricey
just ideas not suggestions.. lol
I have seen some cars, not these, done up to look like 57 Belair, the two tone and the silver or white feathered graphic to profile a Belair... if done right it looks ok.

2ndGenGuy
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
That blue - seperated by a silver like you were saying, but seperate it with a deep vivid orange stripe. Something about blue with hints of orange is very cool to me. And the silver you can't go wrong with. I'd say keep the second color lower on the car though. Keep it mostly the stock color.

Maybe like this style of scheme, but with your factory blue on top, and an orange stripe in the grey or silver part. Just keep the second tone at the level of the bumpers, and paint your bumpers separately to match.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/misc/crx.jpg

Sabz5150
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Personally, I'd keep the paint scheme the same, sans the pinstriping. Make it look like like "just some old accord". Toss on some DX bumpers if you want a bit of a two-tone without straying away from the stock look and feel.

When I paint my 3g, it's going back to its original color. BG23M-3. Nothing else.

2oodoor
10-30-2007, 02:01 PM
good idea 2nd gen guy... I like that
you have point about keeping it low, that way the jams do not need anything but you will have to back tape so 2nd color overspray does not get into the jams.
I also agree with Sabz point, you already will have painted mouldings and bumpers, that alone sets it apart to those of us that "know" it is trick.

RamThis
10-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I might just try that idea of pencil-ing a 3G profile and trying a few ideas. I like some of RooDoo's color break ideas too, may have to look at those in a rendering.

Wish I had Chip Foose's drawing skills, I could whip up a photograph quality rendering to go by in a few minutes lol.

RamThis
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Believe it or not, there is actually some primer on the Honda!!! I was blending in the Roll Pan on my 2000 Ram and primered it, and had some left over, so I hurried over to the car, wiped down an area with some Final Klean, and sprayed part of the roof lol.

88Accord-DX
10-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Tubes tying two tone baby blue? :kekeke:

RamThis
11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Tubes tying two tone baby blue? :kekeke:

YOU!!! Talk no more!!! :slap:

88Accord-DX
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
YOU!!! Talk no more!!! :slap:

That was constructive criticism, relax!!

How is that new job going & are you looking forward to having another kid? What are you going to name it, boy or girl? Anyhow, I'd go with a metallic two tone, what ever color. Sounds like some nice upgrades with mig welder & etc. :)

(done after one kid)

2oodoor
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/ZZside3.jpg

This looks nice, a little piece of graphic that complements the body contour, or it can give the illusion of a contour.
If this was mine I would have put the "volt" about six inches towards the front so that it accented the contour better. This one kind of distracts from the roof pillar vents a bit.

Cheeseburger
11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

This looks nice, a little piece of graphic that complements the body contour, or it can give the illusion of a contour.
If this was mine I would have put the "volt" about six inches towards the front so that it accented the contour better. This one kind of distracts from the roof pillar vents a bit.

that would look nice!

RamThis
11-03-2007, 05:44 PM
That was constructive criticism, relax!!

How is that new job going & are you looking forward to having another kid? What are you going to name it, boy or girl? Anyhow, I'd go with a metallic two tone, what ever color. Sounds like some nice upgrades with mig welder & etc. :)

(done after one kid)

Oh I wasnt mad just giving you hell lol.

Job is great, making good money now, but unfortunately daycare is eating it ALL up, we are paying almost 1.5 times our mortgage payment for freaking daycare. I could be driving a new Z06 Corvette, with money left over, for what I'm paying in daycare. Its effin rediculous. But, with two kids in daycare, I guess it's gonna be expensive no matter how you look at it. Nearly 700 a month per kid. And this is averagely priced daycare, not the higher end stuff too. The new baby's name is Hannah, she's 5 months old. Older sis' name is Haley, she's just over 3 years old. (Thats why the car, she just sets lol)

RamThis
11-03-2007, 05:47 PM

OMG that is a gorgeous car!!!! I love the new stangs.....

Think the color would be a bit over the top for a 3G though. But I do see what you mean by a breakup of the two tone color break line. I had a very mild idea in mid for that which is pretty similar to what's on the Stang pic. I think it's a good idea too, to break up the monotony a bit but not make it look to over the top.

I think with these cars, less is more, especially with the body style being so dated. Clean and simple is the name of the game if it's going to look stylish and classy while being "custom" at the same time.....

MessyHonda
11-03-2007, 06:20 PM
lol.....stang with LS mesh wheels.

RamThis
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok I keep coming back to a metallic grey, something about the same lightness shade, or a few shaded darker, than the Laurel Blue thats already on the car. And Im thinking doing the top half in that color, with the bottom half blue.

Still cant really decide on a pinstripe color....... Dont want to go wild. Had even thought about using the grey for an 1/8" pinstripe spaced at 1/8" on the blue lower side, and this color break/stripe following the original pinstripe lines, even the upward curve an sharp angle at the rear door.

Can anyone Photoshop me a 3G something like that? Monkey, you PS whore, can you help a brutha out??? :cheers:

MessyHonda
11-20-2007, 10:10 PM
monkey is not around anymore.....i havent seen him post in ages.

Bones
11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
My wife had a really classy looking 2 tone 80 Grand Prix back in the late 80s/early 90s.

The car was a silver / dove grey 2 tone factory paint job with a very thin red pinstripe separating the 2 colors. The stripe was about a thick as the lines of the green 3Geez.com lettering at the top of this page, and just between fire engine red and blood red. It was barely bright enough to make a clear distinction between the 2 main colors, but subtle enough that it didn't look garish.

After a deer shattered the front end, the driver fender was replaced, and painted to match (they said) but the shop forgot the pinstripe. The difference was huge and immediately noticable. The new fender looked incomplete (of course) and very very plain. With the stripe, the car was very striking (no pun intended) and without the stripe it just looked drab.

Now that I think about it again, I'd bet the custom pinstripe was added by a local OSU fan. Scarlet and grey are the OSU colors.

If yer gonna go with a blue / silver 2 tone I think a gold pinstripe between the 2 would set it off nicely.