PDA

View Full Version : 88 LX choke problem...

StressSolutions
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I've searched until my searcher is sore, read everything that I can find, but no answer to my problem.

I've downloaded the manual and read it as well, commenced testing, as well. Not good at testing.

Choke does not open sometimes. Sometimes it works great. When last testing, I had the choke heater unplugged (power wire), the book said to start to see if choke opens. It didn't and to keep it running, I had to stick a screwdriver in the carb to open the plate. The air box was off, lines plugged. After running several minutes, some valve opened, it ran perfect, just like I want it to. The sound changed and I determined it was because I had the hard plastic pipe off that runs from that series of valves to the air box. When that opened up, air came out of the big hole, I could hear a exhaust sort of noise coming from that area. What is that series of valves?

What is the point of the choke heater?

Does the top of the carb have to come off to drill the rivets from the choke heater? How do I test the choke heater?

thanks in advance

tuxdreamerx
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I've searched until my searcher is sore, read everything that I can find, but no answer to my problem.

I've downloaded the manual and read it as well, commenced testing, as well. Not good at testing.

Choke does not open sometimes. Sometimes it works great. When last testing, I had the choke heater unplugged (power wire), the book said to start to see if choke opens. It didn't and to keep it running, I had to stick a screwdriver in the carb to open the plate. The air box was off, lines plugged. After running several minutes, some valve opened, it ran perfect, just like I want it to. The sound changed and I determined it was because I had the hard plastic pipe off that runs from that series of valves to the air box. When that opened up, air came out of the big hole, I could hear a exhaust sort of noise coming from that area. What is that series of valves?

What is the point of the choke heater?

Does the top of the carb have to come off to drill the rivets from the choke heater? How do I test the choke heater?

thanks in advance

at least im not the only one with carb mysteries but anyways the manual says somewhere how to test the heater im sure.... mine had been tested at a shop a year ago so theres got to be a way... the whole carb should be removed before drilling but you can drill the rivets out while the carb is on the car. but be sure to cover the carb and not to get any metal into the instake...

Oh I had baught that carb of forrest and it had the choke wired open and he figured cuz the choke spring was bad but I took the wire off and the choke functions properly..mysteries....

StressSolutions
10-31-2007, 06:29 AM
The heater must have a timer built into it...or is such a low wattage that it takes a while to heat up. I suppose that an ohmmeter would indicate resistance if it is good, or if it is open/broken.

I'd wire mine open, but here in MN we get down to -20F quite often and I doubt it'd go with no choking.