PDA

View Full Version : Tranny change blues :(

anubix
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
So I didn't finish today like i woulda liked....

apparently my old transmission didn't have a pilot bearing at all
instead it had a wider shaft end (than the new one) and a little brass collar pressed in the flywheel.
of course the pilot bearing fits the (narrower) shaft of the new tranny like a glove, but it has nowhere to go in the flywheel...

so i "made my own" thicker brass bushing that would accommodate the narrower shaft
and after all that,
it got dark
and i just can't get the son of a bitch to stab

so after struggling with it until NOW,
i thought i'd come here and complain.
wah

AccordB20A
10-31-2007, 12:48 AM
i didnt know our cars had those bearings. mine doesnt

Demon1024
10-31-2007, 01:20 AM
i didnt know our cars had those bearings. mine doesnt
x2
pilot bearing? what are you working on? year that is... throw out bearing/release bearing?

ghettogeddy
10-31-2007, 01:41 AM
x2
pilot bearing? what are you working on? year that is... throw out bearing/release bearing?

ya same thing its pain to change sometimes lol but if i remeber correctly dont you (anubix) have a a18 motor what tranny are u trying to bolt up an a20 i dont think theres is any dif but maybe

shepherd79
10-31-2007, 04:52 AM
actually, we have two diff trannies. My original 86 had imput shaft with small end that goes into flywheel. when i got 88 5 speed it had wide tip. it helped a lot to smooth out shifts and overall operation.

anubix
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
ya same thing its pain to change sometimes lol but if i remeber correctly dont you (anubix) have a a18 motor what tranny are u trying to bolt up an a20 i dont think theres is any dif but maybe

I bought the car in 2005 with an A20A3, and an already installed JDM tranny (guy did it who we bought the car from).

This year, my timing belt blew, so I got and installed a A18A with the same tranny.

Then I lost 5th gear, so I got myself ANOTHER JDM Tranny, and this one has a narrower shaft, etc etc etc.

actually, we have two diff trannies. My original 86 had imput shaft with small end that goes into flywheel. when i got 88 5 speed it had wide tip. it helped a lot to smooth out shifts and overall operation.

So does this mean that (since I made my own bushing) that it should work anyway? Or did I just get a queer transvestite tranny?