PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Question

Pico
10-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I want to install my Delta Cam tomorrow, I read up on the how to thread.
Do you guys have any other suggestion or tips on getting the job done with little to know problems.
Do I have to use any type of assembly lube on it when I install it?
Any help from anyone would be appreciated

88Accord-DX
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
If you have a digital outside micrometer, mic the lobes where the caps are. Or at least plasti-gauge them. Just need to make sure that you have the right tolerance there, pretty important. Don't want a sloppy or to tight fit, could cause some problems.
Assembly lube is pretty much all the same, re-set the valve lash & change your oil pretty soon. I need to get one of them cams soon. :)

Pico
10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
If you have a digital outside micrometer, mic the lobes where the caps are. Or at least plasti-gauge them. Just need to make sure that you have the right tolerance there, pretty important. Don't won't a sloppy or to tight fit, could cause some problems.
Assembly lube is pretty much all the same, re-set the valve lash & change your oil pretty soon. I need to get one of them cams soon. :)

Cool, I'll see if I can borrow one from my friends shop
Thanks Derek

88Accord-DX
10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
All you can do with the digital micrometer is compare your stock & delta cam to each other & see if there is any variation. To see what you delta cam specs look like, get some plasti-gauge & set the cam in the journals. Tighten the caps in sequence & check the measurement on the plasti-gauge paper. Not sure what tolerance it should be, but somewhere about .005 inch. Make sure there is no oil on the cam journal or cap.

MessyHonda
10-31-2007, 11:34 PM
when i did my cam swap with the help of Anttony we took off the valve cover...then we lossen up the tensioner....took out all the upper part of the valve train, remove the top bolt of the distributor and then took off the timing belt. after that we swaped cams and put the engine on TDC and we timed it with the cam gear. put everything back with lots of lube and torqued down the valve train...then we set the valve leash and poped the valve cover on and it ran....LIKE CRAP...sounded like chevy....then we got it all tuned with the computer and the idle screw on the TB....sorry for the run on but im tired...

snoopyloopy
11-01-2007, 04:53 AM
hahahaha. :lol: sounded like a chevy...

2oodoor
11-01-2007, 05:48 AM
No cam bearings you have to be very careful not to nic the cam journals or the mating surface. Use white lithium , just a dab.

fogged
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Not tryin to jack your thread...... I have a ? on just what cams are out there, and saw this post. I have an 89 lxi. Im wanting to rebuild the motor over the winter, and well this is one thing I need help with. Thanx for any help.

2oodoor
11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37583

fogged ^^^^ click the link ce

fogged
11-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanx. just what I was after.

bobafett
11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
just remember 1-3-4-2 when you set the valves, and turn the cam gear 90degrees each time. .006" intake, .008" exhaust, and you will be all set.

shouldn't take longer than 90 minutes to be breaking in the new cam. just keep your rpms up around 2500 and dont let it stay in the same exact place for too long. You will want to go rip on it though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

For a 272 cam I dont even think you will need to do much with your idle screw....

ps i used crane cams lube, and a new honda cam seal when installing mine. :)

Pico
11-15-2007, 08:51 PM
read this I need HELP......
cam help (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=838765&postcount=541)