PDA

View Full Version : Painting Decals on Glass

s_EX_i
11-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey guys im looking to paint on some decals on the back windsheild of my car. Any tips on what type of paint/spray i should use? Im thinking that instead of spray, a roller job would be good. Maybe tremclad/rustoleum mixed with mineral spirits? Or would a spray can be better? Any recomended brands?

Also, im worried about the paint running off. I mean even if i tape down the stencil, isnt there a chance that the paint will run underneath the stencil since it pretty hard to press down the stencil pact solid to the window? Any solutions?

Regards :cheers:

frantik
11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
why not use a vinyl sticker? it'd be a lot easier and no risk of overspray

s_EX_i
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
why not use a vinyl sticker? it'd be a lot easier and no risk of overspray

You mean by a roll of vinyl sticker and cut out the design? Im assuming it will probably cost more though. And it would probably be harder to cut out the design on vinyl.

MessyHonda
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
You mean by a roll of vinyl sticker and cut out the design? Im assuming it will probably cost more though. And it would probably be harder to cut out the design on vinyl.

they have special machines that do all the cutting....if i remember some one on here had access to one but i have not seen him log in in a while....im sure geddy bought some stuff...here is a pic of my vinal on my window...its almost been like 6 months and i have not had a problem

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF2685Medium.jpg

s_EX_i
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
See the thing is I have tremclad left over, and am planning on doing racestripes along the front of the car? How do you guys think that will look. Any pics?

ghettogeddy
11-01-2007, 10:08 AM
like shit the 3g isent a race car lol ive actually seen it and it looks stupid lol and yes find a couple local shops to cut u some vinyl its 10 times easyer to apply and cheaper u can get a full window banner for about 20 if u talk the guy down hell maybe even cheaper
were are u located i have 2-3 friends that do vinyl cutting for a living

s_EX_i
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hahaha well im in Toronto. Canada.

20 bucks?? You sure? Thats pretty damn cheap.

Cheeseburger
11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
don't paint ur decals

frantik
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
look up signmakers in your area.. trust me one of them will be able to cut you a custom vinyl decal for very cheap. theres people online who will do it too

lostforawhile
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey guys im looking to paint on some decals on the back windsheild of my car. Any tips on what type of paint/spray i should use? Im thinking that instead of spray, a roller job would be good. Maybe tremclad/rustoleum mixed with mineral spirits? Or would a spray can be better? Any recomended brands?

Also, im worried about the paint running off. I mean even if i tape down the stencil, isnt there a chance that the paint will run underneath the stencil since it pretty hard to press down the stencil pact solid to the window? Any solutions?

Regards :cheers:well the decal will be eaisier, i've seen the painted ones on low riders and it's quite a skill,if it's done right it will last the life of the car,but the glass has to be etched and everything. also if you want to paint on a surface and are worried about paint under the stencil, clean and prep the surface, then applly rubber cement to the surface of the stencil, facing the cars surface. let it tack up then apply the stencil, after the paint is dry, simply peel off the stencil,then carefully pull any remaining rubber cement up. it acts just like masking tape.

RamThis
11-01-2007, 02:38 PM
No stripes, it'll look SOOOO stupid on a 3G. Like putting a wing on a Geo, which is what CAH or Dark Accord is into. Dont go to the dark side......:thumbdn:

On another note, yes, look up sign shops and ask what they'd charge to make you a decal from automotive quality vinyl. Most are really reasonable, especially if there is not "art" involved, just lettering. If you have specific art involved, the price will go up for an "artist fee" to create the image in a special program the plotter understands. I had a decal made for my Ram once that way. They have alot of art there you can choose from that is ready made too, so you may find something suitable there that will keep the price cheap.

And if it's a decal you'd be having many multiples made of, but not at the same time, ask them to put the image on a disc so you can bring it in anytime you need another decal made. Some will store it on their own hard drive under your name or phone number so all you have to do is call it in and go pick them up later.

Ichiban
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
You could get a stencil made and sandblast the pattern onto the glass.

lostforawhile
11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
You could get a stencil made and sandblast the pattern onto the glass.
they have the tiny handheld sand blaster and stencils for doing that at eastwood

s_EX_i
11-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks dude, that rubber cement stuff seems perfect for alota things, I didnt even know it existed!

And for the vinyl yeah I, just sent an email asking for a quote at a shop down here in toronto. I'm a webdesigner so I don't have to worry to much about the artistic fee ;) but all I need is text for this one anyway.

Anyone have an ideas for some paint on decals I can do on the body? I really feel the urge to paint for somereason lol.

ghettogeddy
11-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks dude, that rubber cement stuff seems perfect for alota things, I didnt even know it existed!

And for the vinyl yeah I, just sent an email asking for a quote at a shop down here in toronto. I'm a webdesigner so I don't have to worry to much about the artistic fee ;) but all I need is text for this one anyway.

Anyone have an ideas for some paint on decals I can do on the body? I really feel the urge to paint for somereason lol.

paint a picture lol not a car lol dont ruin the look
with ricy stencils and def with house paint lol build a dog house and paint that or something lol

s_EX_i
11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
haha man this car is a beater anyway. 320k on it, leaky sunroof, malfunctioning locks, rust! i just need to kill sometime (and money) i guess lol.

cant wait to get my 3.2 tl :P .. hmm maybe i shouldnt have said that on an honda forum =P

ghettogeddy
11-02-2007, 11:46 AM
haha man this car is a beater anyway. 320k on it, leaky sunroof, malfunctioning locks, rust! i just need to kill sometime (and money) i guess lol.

cant wait to get my 3.2 tl :P .. hmm maybe i shouldnt have said that on an honda forum =P

why its still the same company lol

gp02a0083
11-03-2007, 07:14 AM
i painted a few things on glass b4, i got a Pict of what i painted on a newer mustang's rear 1/4 window, i was told by the shop you need have the stencil and use it to etch the glass to make sure the paint has something to bite to. IMO don't do it , its nice and all but vinyls are soo much cheaper and easier, plus your glass wont be ruined

lostforawhile
11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
you have to use a special acid to etch the glass,then you can leave it frosted or paint it.