PDA

View Full Version : Buncha things

Krusty55
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello folks,

This is my first post though I've been lurking for a while. First, I want to give props to plasmadis for his excellent post about the TW Sensor. I have been messing around with my 86 fuel-injected LX-i Accord for 3 months trying to figure out why it wouldn't start when hot. I replaced the main relay, distributor, fuel filter and the other coolant sensor and I tested all over the place. I didn't even realize the other sensor was there until I saw his pics. So I owe him a cyber beer.:cheers:

This is a great forum, so now I'm going to give it a workout. Sorry about the long post.

So fixing that made it start and run fine, but then all kinds of other stuff got sick.

1. It flunked Virginia emissions (CO% should be 0.55 and 0.80, but it's 4.09 and 4.42:thumbdn:). I searched the forum and spent today replacing plugs, air filter and messin' with the timing. Engine is pinging under load so I guess it's too advanced. Tomorrow I'll probably replace the O2 sensors which brings me to my first question.

My parts guy says it needs two sensors. I see one just above the exhaust header flange, though getting to it looks a little tricky. Where's the other one??:confused: My Haynes book is no help.

2. Setting the timing: On the flywheel plate, I see a red mark with a hash mark above and below it. With my timing light set on 15 deg. which mark do I line up on? A mechanic told me there's a white mark, but I don't see that anywhere.

3. Just for good measure, as soon as I got the TW sensor thing fixed, the power steering pump blew its seal. I have a rebuild kit on order, but, when it blew, I poured in some PS fluid I had sitting around. It was not Honda OK fluid.:sad2: How do I get the bad fluid out of there (other than waiting for it to eat the seals out of the steering rack)?

So that's all I got (for now):violin:. Thanks in advance for any help and thanks again for the good info so far.

Krusty55

russiankid
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Can't help you with the other questions but as far as the O2 sensors. The 86-87 Accords had one sensor on the manifold and the 88-89 had 2 O2 sensors. So you need one not two since you have the 86.

2ndGenGuy
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
The white mark on your flywheel is the where your timing should line up when you give it gas. It's your advance mark. When you're at idle, you want it on the red mark you're talking about. If you give it some gas, you should see the timing line up on that white mark, after you've got the idle timing set properly.

Krusty55
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Can't help you with the other questions but as far as the O2 sensors. The 86-87 Accords had one sensor on the manifold and the 88-89 had 2 O2 sensors. So you need one not two since you have the 86.

Well, that saves me some $$$. Which is a good thing cuz a mechanic told me this might end up requiring a catalytic convertor:omg:. We'll see.

The white mark on your flywheel is the where your timing should line up when you give it gas. It's your advance mark. When you're at idle, you want it on the red mark you're talking about. If you give it some gas, you should see the timing line up on that white mark, after you've got the idle timing set properly.

Aha! Makes sense. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to gas it and squint down that flywheel hole at the same time.

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the help.

Krusty55

LX-incredible
11-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Those pumps are easy as hell to rebuild. Fill the pump with fluid prior to installation. I would run at least a couple bottles through to completely flush the system.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/306/psbleedid5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Krusty55
11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks, LX-incredible, esp. for the scans. That makes it three for three on my questions. I swapped the O2 sensor today, messed with the timing some more. I think it's right now. So I took it back to be re-inspected and the mechanic is gone, as in quit, departed, not there no more. So my free re-inspection is likewise gone.:wtf:

I do my own repairs, why can't I do my own inspections??:huh:

Krusty55