PDA

View Full Version : explain this (video included)

stocklxi
11-02-2007, 03:49 PM
okay so i have a brand new battery,alternator,starter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires....and this happens...http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/allmotorhatch/th_102_0157.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/allmotorhatch/?action=view&current=102_0157.flv) (tach goes up to like 6 or 8 k on attempt to start if you can't see in video)

it doesnt make sense!!! :wtf:

88Accord-DX
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Could be a few things. From my experience & knowledge, it could be the coil going bad, ignition switch, bad battery terminals, loose grounds.

stocklxi
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
well i have an accel super coil on there, and i know it works cuz it was on my integra and it fired up all day every day...ill check the grounds...brb.

Oldblueaccord
11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I guess your saying it won't start right off? At first the car sounds a little hard to crank over. You can get the starting amps tested and see if there real high then the starter needs brushes or is just shot.

I'd ask if your tach needle is jumping when you crank it everytime. That shows if your coil/distributor is firing or not.

Your pretty sure your main relay is ok? You can jump it out to test it I have done a write up on it buried on here some where.

wp

stocklxi
11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
well heres my setup on the accord now...i switched a few grounds around.. and it fires up everytime after turning it off...but its random i might go out and try and start it again and it does like the video again...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/allmotorhatch/accord.jpg

oleblue - starter is brand new, my old one was shot and failed every test.
- when it won't start my tach jumps to like 6k when im cranking it, otherwise it won't when it starts up
- haven't checked the main relay, i've had that problem on other hondas and usually it will crank strong but won't fire up becuz its not getting gas, so i don't think thats it...ill look into your write up tho to test.

cygnus x-1
11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
The lights are dimming a lot and the starter sounds like it's having a hard time. Check the battery and starter connections again. Have you replaced the battery cables or are they original?

C|

lostforawhile
11-02-2007, 06:25 PM
The lights are dimming a lot and the starter sounds like it's having a hard time. Check the battery and starter connections again. Have you replaced the battery cables or are they original?

C|has there been a load test on the battery? the ignition has nothing to do with cranking speed. you have to meet a minium speed for the car to start,and the battery sounds like it's dead. what is the actual voltage? and what is it during cranking? the reason your tach needle is jumping on start,is the battery voltage is probably dropping so low on start, that the ignition module is not getting enough voltage to operate properly. a load test done on the battery will show the voltage under starting conditions.

stocklxi
11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
cables have been replaced, im gonna double check the starter connection from the wiring harness. is it possible i have something draining my battery? i don't know where my multimeter went to check battery before i start.

lostforawhile
11-02-2007, 06:31 PM
thats a lot of drain. best to take the battery somewhere like advance or autozone,where they can load check it for free. they will charge the battery then see how much current it puts out under load. how old is your battery?

stocklxi
11-02-2007, 06:37 PM
the battery i have now is kinda old i guess, i have a new(er) one in my teg which im currently driving, ill swap those out tomorrow sometime after work and see if it makes a difference.

MessyHonda
11-03-2007, 05:53 PM
yeah sounds like a weak battery. i got mine charged for free at pepboys.

shepherd79
11-03-2007, 07:01 PM
i have seen that many times, first, your battery is old and can't hold the charge. get a new one. get something with a lot of CCA. The more the better, it will last longer.
I had 850 cca in my car with stereo and sub and it lasted 8 years without any problems.
second, after you replace your battery and tach still jumps, time is for a new distributor and coil. even if you think your coil is good, It may be done. new accel coils are made in maxico, they are junk. I work at advance auto parts and i see this shit everyday.

Xulfiqar
11-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I had this same problem. I went on a step by step thing,

firstly get some good ground wire to the transmission or starter bolt itself, not the shitty bracket and 6mm bolt, made the tach jump less (uptil only 1K)

then I added a relay and diode in the starter circuit. Tach only jumps ever so slightly when attempting to crank and the engine cranks way faster now,

What I could figure out is that the contacts in the ignition barrel have pitted or the wire to the starter is weak somewhere. btw this only happens with mitsuba starters not the ND ones.

stocklxi
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
well i found a multimeter and i did some checking, the battery read 12.4 volts before i tried to start it. I then tried to start and it took me 2 times, and while the car was on the battery was reading 14.6 volts, so it is holding a charge but i guess i have a bad cell in the battery? i dunno what it read when trying to start it, im gonna switch the batterys and find out if thats the problem.

lostforawhile
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
well i found a multimeter and i did some checking, the battery read 12.4 volts before i tried to start it. I then tried to start and it took me 2 times, and while the car was on the battery was reading 14.6 volts, so it is holding a charge but i guess i have a bad cell in the battery? i dunno what it read when trying to start it, im gonna switch the batterys and find out if thats the problem.
you mean 14.5 volts while the alternator is operating? that doesn't mean the battery is good that means the alternator is charging. you need to take it somewhere where they hook it to a load tester for a specific amount of time. then the voltage is checked. if you want to do the cheap version, disconnect the coil so the car won't start,and try to crank it a couple of times,then check the voltage. this won't allow the alternator to charge the battery and give you a false reading.

Toneloc5145
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
This definately sounds like a battery problem. My car used to start weird, like your car does, before I cleaned the battery posts and retightened them. And like your car, sometimes it would start perfectly fine, and sometimes it would start up weird. It also doesn't help that your lights are on while your trying to start the car; you want the least amount of load as possible when starting the car.

stocklxi
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
well another update, i put the new(er) battery in and it started up like a charm...but apparently im throwing code 12? im gonna look and see what that is

lostforawhile
11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
well another update, i put the new(er) battery in and it started up like a charm...but apparently im throwing code 12? im gonna look and see what that is
check it and reset your computer. could be from low voltage, computer is getting an out of range signal due to low voltage going to the sensor. phantom code.

stocklxi
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
ok heres another problem i have...apparently when the engine is under a decent load i end up shooting smoke out of my exhaust in decent amounts to fog everyone else lol, the amount of smoke varies, its quite humorous but it worries me to think if i'm burning that much oil? or whats goin on? it doesn't do it all the time but it enough to make me mad.

and also i don't have any heat...which i did before i stopped driving it for awhile...what could cause all these problems? thanks

lostforawhile
11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
you haven't over filled your oil have you? if you have it can suck oil up the pcv system. this would mostly happen under load.

Ichiban
11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
If you have no heat, check your coolant level. Also, the hot/cold valves on pretty much any car like to seize up after sitting for a while. You might have to go under the hood and manually move the valve back and forth to free it up.

stocklxi
11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
ok heat was fixed...i guess the cable that moves the heater valve came off so i had to move it up for maximum heat...nice and toasty now...but the smoke is still horrible (cuz i have 2 exhaust leaks and the smell comes into the car) and i believe the oil is at a fine level cuz i just did an oil change

shepherd79
11-08-2007, 05:44 AM
check the oil level, and do compression test. your rings or valve seals are done.
if the smoke is light blue color, valve seals and guides. you can do valve seals very easy without removing the head, but if it smokes even after that you need new valve guides. That will require removing cylinder head and takeing it to a machine shop.

if the smoke grey, you are need new piston rings or just get a new motor.