PDA

View Full Version : Failing window motor or relay?

poor_red_neck
11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
So it's winter here... about 20 something degrees and I'm tired of driving with a window half way down.

I'm too lazy to take the door panel off, as I'm in the middle of a "stage 4" vacuum removal at the moment.

Here's the symptoms.

Driver's side front window rolls down fine. Automatic roll down works fine as well. Rolling up on the other hand has a mind of its own. If I rapidly press the switch in the up direction, every now and then it will kick and the window will go up. It's not in a bind, makes no noise so I'm almost certain it's not the regulator.

Well until about a week ago, it would take me no more than 10 tries to get it to go up. Now it has degraded to the point where it won't go up at all.

I'm pretty sure the switch is OK, because if I press the button, I can hear what sounds like a relay kicking near the door speaker. I didn't know it would have a relay for the motor, I figured the switch took the full amperage for the motor. Soo... I'm thinking that IF there is a relay down there, the contacts are dirty. I mean, if the motor was failing, it should have a problem with going down as well correct?

What are your thoughts?

russiankid
11-03-2007, 08:24 PM
If i remember correctly it is actually a module. Take the whole switch assembly out and check for loose connections on the switch itself as it has one wire for up and one for down and one for auto down.

jdaddy88lx-i
11-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Finally, a reason to post my first thread!:)

So, I had the same problem a year and a half ago. The guy I bought my car from took it, brought it back, said he replaced something in the door. Ok, problem solved.

2 weeks ago my window just stops working altogether. Just in time for all the rain we just had. Luckily it was stuck in the up position. Last Sunday I took the panel off unlpluged the window switch and the black box, looked around a few, plugged them back in and like magic it works again.

The next day, I get to work and it wont go up or down. It was cracked about two inches. I drove with it till thursday when i could get to the junkyard.

Anyhows, the part cost me 5 bucks and it is called a

Power Window Contoller.

poor_red_neck
11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Finally, a reason to post my first thread!:)

So, I had the same problem a year and a half ago. The guy I bought my car from took it, brought it back, said he replaced something in the door. Ok, problem solved.

2 weeks ago my window just stops working altogether. Just in time for all the rain we just had. Luckily it was stuck in the up position. Last Sunday I took the panel off unlpluged the window switch and the black box, looked around a few, plugged them back in and like magic it works again.

The next day, I get to work and it wont go up or down. It was cracked about two inches. I drove with it till thursday when i could get to the junkyard.

Anyhows, the part cost me 5 bucks and it is called a

Power Window Contoller.

Hmm, sounds like a LKQ part to me! (pull your own part junkyard)

Where abouts in raleigh are you from? I'm currently in the clayton/smithfield area but spend alot of time in cary and the gorman st area.

jdaddy88lx-i
11-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Pool RD.

w261w261
11-04-2007, 08:12 AM
The relay inside your power window control module has failed. The symptoms of that failure are exactly what you have described. It's really not practical to fix it, so you need to get a new module, or visit the JY. You need to remove the door panel to get at it, but otherwise it's not a bad job. The relay is there to provide the auto-down feature on the driver's window. A new one from Majestic Honda is $113, which I got because I wanted the peace of mind knowing I wouldn't have to go into the door again for that part. I'm sure you can get one from the JY. Check out #6 on the page below to see what the controller looks like. Once you get the panel off, the part itself is plug and play.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+SEI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CONTROLLER+%281%29

While you're into the door, I would lubricate the window lift mechanism. Things will move more quickly.

jdaddy88lx-i
11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Yes go to LKQ. And do lubricate the lift mechanism. I did and it is alot better. 5-10$ at the yard or 113$ with the Honda part - you deside. Of course, I like the five.