PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure?

Fuzy Navel
11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Have a b18 motor and you know when you change oil in a car sometimes a rod bearing or something will knock for a second or 2 because its getting all the oil pressure and oil in the motor... Well what would cause a car to do that every time you start it.. like after it sits for about a hour or 2 and start it up it will knock like a oil change or something... could the oil screen in the pan be clogged up... Its not useing any oil... Now the first oil change i did on it that freakin oil filter was TIGHT i had to use this tool that had a chain on it and it cut into the oil filter and made it turn anyways plz help me

Hauntd ca3
11-08-2007, 11:31 PM
sounds like your oil filter dosnt have an anti drain back valve in it
it should do
when you do a filter, smear some oil on the rubber ring and only do it up about a turn once the gasket touchs the gasket surface
makes it heaps easierr to get off next time
use fram filters nd castrol magnatech oil
use those and you wont have trouble

2ndGenGuy
11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Knocking after an oil change? That seems odd, I don't recall ever hearing that. There should still be enough oil in your bearings to keep that from happening. I would guess that you've got bigger issues. Maybe get a stethoscope and see if you can't isolate where the knocking noise is actually coming from.

Oldblueaccord
11-09-2007, 09:39 AM
On my accord it would knock first start in the morning around the 160k mile mark. Changing the oil pump fixed this.

I would also use thicker oil like 10/30 10/40 and get a guage and see where your oil pressure is.

wp

88Accord-DX
11-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Might be you have a rod bearing that has excessive clearance from a failing oil pump. I would test the oil pressure & go from there.

g.frost
11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Mine will make that noise a couple seconds on a cold start(has for some years now) after it sits for a couple days. I would first suggest the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter is the problem. (as Hauntd suggests) Put a good filter on like NAPA Gold or such and see if that takes care of it. Yeah, it is a sign something else is bad in the engine (rod bearing or piston slap?) but it will not get attention until it gets much worse than it is now. The engine runs fine and strong otherwise.

russiankid
11-10-2007, 03:49 PM
The easy solution to the engine knocking after an oil change is to fill the oil filter half way with oil. So when you go to start the engine the filter doesn't take time to fill up, it already has oil in it and prevents pressure lose. I had this knock as well, especially after an oil change. Doing what i described solved the issue. Also with the knocking in the morning etc., i had that as well, it happened to be the filter draining back.

MessyHonda
11-10-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah i like my napa gold filter....and i get them for 7 bucks...so its all good.

poor_red_neck
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
who ever suggested a fram oil filter seriously needs to do some research on those filters. They are absolute CRAP.

Puralator (brand advance auto sells) was ranked one of the best. They are sold under a few different brand names, but the puralator golds were like #2 I think. The #1 was about twice as expensive and not worth it.

Again, fram oil filters are CRAP.