PDA

View Full Version : Toxicity of Radiator Fluid Fumes

bushbean
11-08-2007, 07:26 PM
My other car, an Isuzu, has a leaky heater core. I can smell radiator fluid whenever I use the heater. The core is super hard to get to. I'd have to rip apart the whole dash. I'm incline to leave it be. My question is this: is fume from radiator fluid toxic, bad for my health? I mean I don't want to get lung cancer.

88Accord-DX
11-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Just keep the windows rolled down a little & get it fixed soon or you'll be looking at bigger & better problems with a "hot" engine.

Hauntd ca3
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
since anti freeze is 95% alchomihol, it wont hurt you
the other 5 % is just the green dye.
i'd replace the heater core
is a pain in the arse to do, but is better thaan a dead engine

Demon1024
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
you can find the heater core hoses that go in through the firewall and just connect them together, cut the core outta the circuit all together. had to do this to a plymoth acclaim.

cygnus x-1
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually it's ethylene glycol (green stuff) or propylene glycol (red stuff), not alcohol. Ethylene glycol is toxic but it would take more than fumes to cause a problem; you would pretty much have to drink it. What it will do though is cause a film to build up on the inside of the windows that's really hard to get off. Even though it sucks I would probably try to replace it.

C|

bushbean
11-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm really lazy; I'm going bypass the heater like Demon suggested and wear my ski jacket.

Hauntd ca3
11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
thats prob the easiest way out eh
anti freeze use to contain glycol alcohol, it may have changed over the years
it may not have.
i would get the heater core fixed before summer , just for that extra cooling capacity on realy hot days
its not much, but can be enough to save yuor engine

2oodoor
11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
what year and model Isuzu? and does it have air cond?
That may not be too bad, I will look it up and see what all is involved if you like.

you can drink antifreeze and it wont kill you until you get so much in you, there is ethy and prop glycol in some foods.
It may agrivate athsma or sinus allergys possibly though.
I remember seeing on discovery channel this woman was killing her aunt slowly by putting antifreeze in her consumables.. the dr could not figure it out untill one day the pateint was lying down for a long time and the glycol concentrated on her back side enough to discolor the muscle and flesh.

for some reason we have a better tolerance to it than dogs, it will kill a dog a lot quicker.

bushbean
11-09-2007, 03:48 PM
what year and model Isuzu? and does it have air cond?
That may not be too bad, I will look it up and see what all is involved if you like.

you can drink antifreeze and it wont kill you until you get so much in you, there is ethy and prop glycol in some foods.
It may agrivate athsma or sinus allergys possibly though.
I remember seeing on discovery channel this woman was killing her aunt slowly by putting antifreeze in her consumables.. the dr could not figure it out untill one day the pateint was lying down for a long time and the glycol concentrated on her back side enough to discolor the muscle and flesh.

for some reason we have a better tolerance to it than dogs, it will kill a dog a lot quicker.

It's a 92 GEO Storm, which is manufactured by Isuzu. My research shows the whole dash has to come out, in order to access the heater core. Besides, I'm trying to sell this GEO, and definitely don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it. I rather spend time on my 3Gee instead. By the way, Chinese toothpastes tainted with antifreeze killed a lot of people in South America this summer.

2oodoor
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
It's a 92 GEO Storm, which is manufactured by Isuzu. My research shows the whole dash has to come out, in order to access the heater core. Besides, I'm trying to sell this GEO, and definitely don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it. I rather spend time on my 3Gee instead. By the way, Chinese toothpastes tainted with antifreeze killed a lot of people in South America this summer.

Ok, you could try stop leak tablets, or better yet pour about two large tablespoons of black pepper in the radiator. It could fix the leak for a while and make the car smell like pizza ...
what did they swallow the toothpaste? they use glycol as a suspender or thickener just like they use guar gum, corn starch, locust bean gum... No it isnt the best thing to consume.

forrest89sei
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Oh Lord a 92 Storm, Those are such a pain to fix

Well Look for a Product called "Bars Leak Gold" most walmarts carry it, Works great :D

2oodoor
11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
I have had three shots of cortisteriod and prop glycol injected epidural this year. IM ok except for this craving for brass and aluminum... :cheers:
Keep it away from animals though by all means, and dont make margaritas with it..
I have breathed those fumes for years , to answer the orignal question I think it would be ok, just dont let it gather on the windshield, that can get dangerous, cant see too well.

2ndGenGuy
11-09-2007, 05:18 PM
My bronco too had a heeter coar leek fur like a year and i bereathed in all teh fooms. And im just fine.

2drSE-i
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
My bronco too had a heeter coar leek fur like a year and i bereathed in all teh fooms. And im just fine.

i think cah's mom must have smoked antifreeze while she was pregnant with him.

88Accord-DX
11-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Most any heater core can be by-passed with some good modifications to join both hoses out the firewall. Just make sure your hoses aren't kinked doing so. Get some good hose clamps, don't use the tension hose clamps Honda has there.

w261w261
11-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Unless you've got fluid pouring out of the heater core, go get some of the Barr's. I've used it for years in several vehicles, and it works very well. Don't use more than the amount specified. Don't put it in the coolant recovery bottle. Drain down the radiator some, put in the "worms," top the radiator back up and drive around for 20 minutes or so. Chances are you'll be good to go. Barr's is one of those things that's been around for 50 years or so and still works great.

Ichiban
11-10-2007, 08:39 AM
If you are really curious about the toxicity of Antifreeze, look up the MSDS for it. It'll tell you everything.

2oodoor
11-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I am not a big believer in snake oils, so I use black pepper, if not that then stop leak tablets that crumble into powder basically the same. The pepper gets suspended in the system then when it is shut down it all rushs to air which is where the leak is. Then is sets up into a paste that gets somewhat hard. If that doesnt hold off the leak then I just fix the problem unless Im getting rid of it then its barrs or that asphalt stuff the machine shop has.

w261w261
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Roodoo, the last time I put barr's in my system I went to bleed it and guess what, the barr's thought it was a leak and went to plug it up! Oh shit, I thought, but in a few seconds after opening the valve more it cleared out.

I kept a heater core in a 3.0 CS tacked together with barr's for 3 years. They were famous for rotting heater cores...actually they were famous for rotting period. Karman, "Kind of Rust."

Dr_Snooz
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
From the MSDS (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/E5125.htm):

WARNING! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTION. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

Inhalation:
Vapor inhalation is generally not a problem unless heated or misted. Exposure to vapors over an extended time period has caused throat irritation and headache. May cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and drowsiness. Pulmonary edema and central nervous system depression may also develop. When heated or misted, has produced rapid, involuntary eye movement and coma.

Chronic Exposure:
Repeated small exposures by any route can cause severe kidney problems. Brain damage may also occur. Skin allergy can develop. May damage the developing fetus.

Just fix the leak. Health is too precious to throw away and too hard to rebuild once lost.

2oodoor
12-01-2007, 02:27 AM
From the MSDS (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/E5125.htm):

WARNING! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTION. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

Inhalation:
Vapor inhalation is generally not a problem unless heated or misted. Exposure to vapors over an extended time period has caused throat irritation and headache. May cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and drowsiness. Pulmonary edema and central nervous system depression may also develop. When heated or misted, has produced rapid, involuntary eye movement and coma.

Chronic Exposure:
Repeated small exposures by any route can cause severe kidney problems. Brain damage may also occur. Skin allergy can develop. May damage the developing fetus.

Just fix the leak. Health is too precious to throw away and too hard to rebuild once lost.

Like I said, basically harmless

other than the chronic exposure, or injesting significant quanities... it is no more dangerous than vinegar , and it looks like it would be the same MSDS for alcohol.