PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start....86 Accord carburated

BrianB
11-10-2007, 05:38 PM
86 Accord carburated

I'm getting gas and spark at the plugs. My car was running fine. The magnet under the stator has been broken in half for a month but the car has been running fine. I found a new magnet at the junkyard and decided to switch the broekn one for the one that's in tact. After switching the two magnets the car will not start. It cranks and when I gas and release the peddle it spits gas out of the carb. Before I changed the magnet I ran the car until warm and adjusted the idle control screw, the throttle stop screw and adjusting screw A. My Idle was then good. I hut the car and restarted it and it still worked great. I'm not sure if adjusting the idle had anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Any idea on how to get this thing started?

BrianB
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Also, I adjusted the air gap between the stator and reluctor already.

2oodoor
11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
logic would point to the last thing you messed with before the problem if it was ok before. So you may have disturbed the wires going to the pickup or to the ignitor, they can get brittle and have internal breaks.

BrianB
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I did have 2 cracks in each of the igniter wires. I taped them up and reattached. The car still did not start up. I changed the timing at the distributor and it will now run. I get alot of backfire when I shut it off now though. I will have to time it with a light tomorrow.