PDA

View Full Version : Air filter recommendation

JT55
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I have 89 Accord DX carb. Due for smog check, and need to replace air filter. I have used FRAM air filter in past and did not like it. Used Honda in-store air filter last time, and did not like it either. Both had just cheap plastic housing, with not so great seals. Anybody have experience with WIX air filters? What brand would you recommend I go with?

I don't particularly want to get a high-performance expensive one like K&N. Just a good quality filter to help me pass smog test.

Thanks for any guidance!

MessyHonda
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
i just got a K&N and it works just fine...i paid like 38 bucks for it...but its the last filter i will buy.

AccordB20A
11-12-2007, 03:01 AM
K&N filter is your best bet, Not only a performance filter but u clean them and your good to go for ever.. as messy said its the last filter he will buy.

russiankid
11-12-2007, 04:47 AM
I use Puralator filters, they seem to work great.

race12001
11-12-2007, 08:23 AM
yea i use k&n i love them just paythe money for one and use it it will last long as you recheger it once or twice a year

labeledsk8r
11-12-2007, 09:05 AM
i agree K&N is your best bet.. there not as expensive as they used to be and they pay for themselves. if your really just wanting a cheep filter for a short time then i sujest STP filter but for the price of 2 filters you can have a K&N that will last for 100's of filters

JT55
11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I never know how long this car will last, hence
reason I haven't invested in a K&N filter up to now. I will check K&N prices in local stores here.

Originally, filters for these cars had metal housings with rubber seals. Nowadays, you just get cheap plastic housings. Last filter I got was badly warped, and I almost returned it!

86AccordLXSdn
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
The previous owner of my car warned me that the plastic ones will melt in the carb.

Has anyone experienced this? I have a metal and orange one in there now. Not sure what brand...

88Accord-DX
11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Unless you running CAI, K&N is the better end of it. Other than that, don't sweat it unless your running a weber or a flipped lid. :wtf:

87roach
11-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I remember a disscusion or could of been a magazine somewhere down the line. K&N has one of the best airflows but also lets the most dust in, I could be wrong but im pretty sure I came across that somewhere...

JT55
11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
To answer 86AccordLXSdn, I have not seen one of the plastic air filters melt.
Only have experience with my '89 Accord, and I don't drive it that hard.

labeledsk8r
11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
i have never even seen plastic air filters, all of them i have seen for carbed cars have a foam/ruber top/bottom . i have used frams,stp's,K&N,and a few super cheep things. but im sureif they do make them they have them tested against meltage, since if plastic melts it can also catch fire, and no company wants a lawsuit over a 12 buck filter lol

forrest89sei
11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
They Wouldn't melt, Our Air Cleaner gets hot but you Can't Burn yourself touching it!

The Orange and Metal is Fram

I've used STP, Fram, and Penzoil and K&N

All of them worked well.

If you plan to keep your car for a while, get a K&N ,it made it sound meaner and I got a little better mileage with it.

Also remember since they are Million Mile Filters, all you need to do is clean it and you can most likely get around $20-25 when you resell it

g.frost
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
87roach is right about the K&N: although higher performance/lower restriction, it does let more dirt in the engine. If you have a couple hours to kill you can search here for more details:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

The higher silicon (ie. dirt/dust) shows up in used oil analysis.
I wouldn't get too excited about this though, really, it is not THAT much for these old accords. But if you are real anal about keeping the engine clean vs. a bit more WOT power, the stock air filter seems to perform better. I'm no fan of FRAM oil filters but the air filters seem to be ok. I think I've been running air NAPA filter in mine for a few years.

Hauntd ca3
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
i run a k&n filter and cant say that in the five years i've had it
i've seen any dust/dirt in my intake
if you do ,i'd say you not cleaning/oiling it right
the us air force spec them in those apache choppers, so i'd say they do there job protecting a turbine engine

g.frost
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Good point on the cleaning and oiling variable: It is possible to damage the filter or over/under oiling could affect performance. I think if you actually saw dirt in the intake that would be a severe failure (like holes in the media?). These guys on 'bob is the oil guy' are measuring ppm in the used oil. Those numbers would be off the charts if there was a big problem. Like I say, this is nothing to get too excited about....

shepherd79
11-15-2007, 07:00 AM
replacing air filter is a good idea, but if you keep failing emission test, you won't pass it even with a new air filter.
You probably need new cat and clean the carb.

itzdave
11-15-2007, 07:10 AM
seafoam works great too(to maybe help pass the smog), i poured some down my carb and i couldnt see the end of my driveway there was so much smoke everywhere. and yea, i recomend the k&n, also you will have to buy the 'recharge kit' for it, thats got the oil and the cleaner.

DBMaster
11-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I had an Amsoil foam filter way back in 1992. It supposedly flowed better and trapped more dirt than the cotton gauze type filter (like K&N). Honestly, it was way too much trouble and I never saw any real benefit in power or fuel economy. I get 30,000 miles out of an average quality paper filter and it is way easier than messing with cleaning drying and re-oiling. I wonder if Fram's new washable filter, that does not use oil, is made for either of our car designs (carb and/or FI).