PDA

View Full Version : dam civic window regulators

lostforawhile
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
has anyone else ever had problems with the idiot 98 civic regulators for the windows? they had a proven design for years,so what do they do change it!!!! to an unreliable cable drive system. one of the cables in my wifes car decided to just go SPROING!! and unravel now the window will barely roll up or down. aftermarket one is over a hundred bucks,and since the motor cable snapped i have to buy the entire thing. it's really fun to remove the door panels too,since you have to pry everything apart, and it all breaks in the process. well end of rant.

88Accord-DX
11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Seen a lot of window regulators go out, mostly they criss-cross on the plastic wheel on the motor & bind up. Only seen a handful of window regulators that you can buy the motor separately. Depending on the clips, I use a door panel tool that gets up behind the clip without breaking it.

lostforawhile
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Seen a lot of window regulators go out, mostly they criss-cross on the plastic wheel on the motor & bind up. Only seen a handful of window regulators that you can buy the motor separately. Depending on the clips, I use a door panel tool that gets up behind the clip without breaking it.

it's not the door panels i'm worried about,you have to pry off the trim around the window switch,then pry out the trim around the door handle. it's impossible to pry out the door handle trim without breaking it . dumb design is all.

2oodoor
11-14-2007, 07:49 AM
I didnt break my trim on the 94 !!?? Make sure you got all the screws, hidden. And the panels lift up off the door, not snap on to the door.,In other words once the screws are all out it hangs on the door not snapped. All cars are made that way now, as with the cable regulators too. I put a regulator in a 2006 Chevy IMpala, and I swear the regulator was IDENTICAL to a Civic... I mean fuggin exactly like it... and my civic was manual, the chevy was power, I swear they were enough alike to interchange.. I would bet.
which door is it? let me check my supplier to see about a better price.
I thought you could take the motor off those regulators, any other car you can.

A18A
11-14-2007, 08:01 AM
i dunno about the civic door panels, but i use scissors to pry out the clips, usually works successfully without breaking anything :)

lostforawhile
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I didnt break my trim on the 94 !!?? Make sure you got all the screws, hidden. And the panels lift up off the door, not snap on to the door.,In other words once the screws are all out it hangs on the door not snapped. All cars are made that way now, as with the cable regulators too. I put a regulator in a 2006 Chevy IMpala, and I swear the regulator was IDENTICAL to a Civic... I mean fuggin exactly like it... and my civic was manual, the chevy was power, I swear they were enough alike to interchange.. I would bet.
which door is it? let me check my supplier to see about a better price.
I thought you could take the motor off those regulators, any other car you can.the screws are under the armrest,which part of has to be pried out,and is nearly impossible to get out, the other screws are hidden under the speaker grill which comes out easy, then you take one screw out of the trim around the door handle,then you also have to pry it out of the door,with the handle still attached to the lock rod. after all this the panel is still attached to the door with plastic snaps. some of the tabs on the door hadle trim broke off,i mean it's really in there tight,and it mars up the plastic trim around the armrest trying to get the snapped on front part off.

AccordB20A
11-15-2007, 01:32 AM
lol cable drive. my mates nissan has those and oh guess what they dont work either.. hahaha

shepherd79
11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
what year is the civic?

A18A
11-15-2007, 08:08 AM
going by the first post, i would say a 98 civic?