PDA

View Full Version : Grinds when shifting into reverse.

86AccordLXSdn
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Alright.

I've got a 86 5MT LX with almost 280k on the factory clutch. Every gear but reverse is easy pie.

Reverse when the car has not warmed up is almost always 'crunch'. Even with the clutch to the floor. I just had the Honda dealer do the MTF so that's good. I'm not sure if this problem got better or worse after the change. Though all the forward gears seem to require much less clutch movement to engage them. So far, my solution has been to keep the car in reverse combined with the parking brake when I park. No grinding then. What gives?

turabaka
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
my car kinda does that too. I'm not sure what it is, but I'd definitely like to find out.

Demon1024
11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
wild guess here but i think there a test for a part that involves exactly what your saying says something like shift from first to reverse a couple of times if there's a grind the ____ is bad. was it syncro? i've got the same problem but i just go patiently into reverse and no grind

88Accord-DX
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
No synchronizer is used in reverse that I know of in these Accords. Sounds more like something is out of adjustment in the linkage or in that area. Might be more internal issue in the transaxle.

lostforawhile
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
if it's grinding with your clutch to the floor,your clutch is out of adjustment. there should be no power transmitted to the transmission with the clutch pushed all the way in. you more then likely have too much free play in the clutch cable.

koss007
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
i have the same deal .. so how do i adjust the clutch .. i know in my vw theres a butterfly nut u just have to turn

lostforawhile
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
pretty close to the same idea, does anyone have the link to the clutch adjustment thread on here? couldn't find it in search. it may still grind a little if you haven't given the transmission time to come to a stop. there is no reverse syncro.

87roach
11-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Heres what I do to avoid it:

I have developed a habit of always shifting to 1st to line up the gear and then it slides nicely into R, if I don't it will usually grind so try this instead.

MessyHonda
11-13-2007, 03:00 AM
i shift into 4th first and then into reverse. it helps out.

russiankid
11-13-2007, 04:44 AM
i shift into 4th first and then into reverse. it helps out.

Actually just shifting into first gets mine to smoothly shift into reverse.

AccordEpicenter
11-13-2007, 08:12 AM

I have developed a habit of always shifting to 1st to line up the gear and then it slides nicely into R, if I don't it will usually grind so try this instead.

this is what you should do 100% of the time, 1st is semi syncronized, reverse is not, going into reverse should eliminate any kind of grind you are experiencing if you still grind then check your clutch adjustment

Whiter
11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
same thing here, i just take my foot off the brake and as the car rolls a bit i put it in, seems to do the trick

poor_red_neck
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM

That is good practice for ANY manual transmission vehicle.

Even after you press in the clutch, the input shaft is still spinning. As stated above, I don't think there is a syncro on reverse.

AccordB20A
11-21-2007, 12:29 AM
No syncro on reverse in any gearbox. What i do is stop car frm moving, put clutch in slide into revese and let clutch out and go, Only crunches if im still moving forward

adjuster for clutch is on the gearbox where the cable bolts onto it theres a large plastic nut

AZmike
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
No syncro on reverse in any gearbox.

...maybe no Accord gearbox. The transmission in the Miata has a synchronized reverse.

If the clutch is not fully disengaging there is too much slack, not too little. There should be 1/4" free-play in the release lever on the front of the bellhousing.

I think the owners manual even mentions shifting into a forward gear before going to reverse (1-2-R if I remember right). Lower gears have the largest syncros.