PDA

View Full Version : Question about alternator for carb models.

ABC
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I've been doing some searching here the past couple of days and of course came across many threads stating that carb alternators have three prongs while efi alternators have four prongs.

I changed the alternator on my 86 LX today and found a 4 prong alternator.
I'm 99.9999% sure this was the original alternator and nothing has been done to adapt this 4 prong alternator/harness onto the car as I've had this car since new.

1) Just wondering if anyone else found an efi alternator on a carb model (of course without the adapter harness or anything like that)??

2) The place I bought the rebuilt alt. from gave me a 3 prong one and when I found out mine was 4, he just swapped out the voltage regulators. Is this going to be a prob?? I know the extra wire is for the ecu which an lx doesn't have. I'm guessing it won't be a prob. since the one on the car was 4 prong.

Thanks!

A20A1
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46908

nope, should be fine

ABC
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks!

I found that thread in my search and figured it wasn't much of a prob but wasn't sure.

Just thought it was a little weird to have a 4 prong alt. with harness plug in my carb car as opposed to others who have 3 prongs on their carb model.

Maybe I've got something rare. :confused: haha.

Oh well...the car has been working fine since I installed it. Thanks again!