PDA

View Full Version : Electrical?

Whiter
11-15-2007, 08:24 AM
im not too sure on this but what could the problem be when i turn on my headlights and my car clock dims and the idle drops. 89 accord
sometimes she even wants to stall on me. Also maybe once a week she drives amazingly for about 2 minutes and then at all other times when i put my foot on the gas she tries to stall out unless i take my foot off to let it kick up and then put it down again. it seems to stumble for the first 200+rpm from my idle which pulses up and down from 1000 to 1200 almost all the time unless its trying to stall from the headlights being on then i just keep my foot on the gas. also i have to keep the revs up at like 2000+ when i am putting it in gear at all times or it will shudder and try stalling where as the 2 minutes a week normally in cold mornings, it will practically put itself in gear as i take my foot off the clutch like a car should, its not due to me sucking at shifting ither i drive a 5ton

i was thinking the alternator but my battery seems to stay charged i check it every week and i get a good 13.5v at all operating ranges.

Edit: i forgot to mention i cleaned all the valves, checked all the grounds, plugs are new, wires are good, injectors are fine. battery is new

Oldblueaccord
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Its possible that the alternator is putting out the correct volts but not the correct amps. On another note I think the car running it should be 14 volts. The battery at rest should be 12.7V.

wp

Whiter
11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
ill check that out at sunrise, i was trying to adjust my throttle angle sensor and the screws holding it in place are just rounded metal and i cant see how i can loosen them, wtf is up with that. for now i just unplugged the sensor and my idle stays around 1500-1700 but atleast it doesnt pulse, my oil light doesnt come on and it doesnt stall out

cygnus x-1
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm almost positive that sensor is not adjustable. But since it runs better with it unplugged it's possible it's just bad. Maybe try another throttle body from a junkyard. New ones are damn expensive.

C|

Blkblurr
11-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Your alt belt could be slipping when you turn the headlights on. this causes a bigger load on the alt and makes it more difficult to spin. The lower voltage that results could be causing a faulty sensor to act up more.

Whiter
11-19-2007, 07:52 AM
hmmm i think i have a throttle body on my spare engine in my shed, ill give that a shot maybe this afternoon. speaking of headlights my front right light just burnt out, the highbeam works but the lowbeam doesnt is there a way to swap the filaments i dont really have money for things like this.

Blkblurr
11-19-2007, 08:35 AM
hmmm i think i have a throttle body on my spare engine in my shed, ill give that a shot maybe this afternoon. speaking of headlights my front right light just burnt out, the highbeam works but the lowbeam doesnt is there a way to swap the filaments i dont really have money for things like this.
You'd have to swap two of the wires going to the bulb then reaim it to match the low beam position.

LX-incredible
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
ill check that out at sunrise, i was trying to adjust my throttle angle sensor and the screws holding it in place are just rounded metal and i cant see how i can loosen them, wtf is up with that. for now i just unplugged the sensor and my idle stays around 1500-1700 but atleast it doesnt pulse, my oil light doesnt come on and it doesnt stall out

They use shear bolts to prevent tampering. To remove take a pair of diagonal wire cutters, grab the head of the screw from the top and turn counterclockwise. They come out pretty easy. When you install the new TPS it needs to be adjusted so the voltage between the red and green wires is 0.47v closed, 4.53v WOT.