PDA

View Full Version : Weird turbo Q

koss007
11-15-2007, 11:28 PM
i have a extra draw-through turbo system for my VW .. i was wondering can i use a turbo header to mount it (its a t3/t4 flange and my VW motor is a 2110cc so it will have enough fuel) ?? or am i just carzy

Ps.. i want to stay carbed just ideas flying through my head .. I konw there will be some issues but im a good mechanic and have a great understanding of the internal combustion and turbo systems

labeledsk8r
11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
if i remember corectly there was one guy who was running a pull threw turbo/carbed setup... if i also remember right the car didnt last to long, he ended up blowing the rings out of it.. but search around i know that atleast that thread is on here someplace, if i run across it i will post it up

guaynabo89
11-16-2007, 06:05 AM
post pics of what you got. I'd like to see how it looks.

koss007
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
it looks like a turbo with a carb right in front..
...http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/1684161.jpg
.. not my car but its the same setup.. i have a lot of extra shit laying around, because a VW always breaks something

2ndGenGuy
11-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do something like that on the Accord. Just have to run your own charge piping to the intake manifold, cut and weld some kind of flange that bolts where the old carb went. Not sure how much room you would have in front of the engine to fit the carb though.

AccordEpicenter
11-16-2007, 12:20 PM
go blowthrough, its a much better setup

labeledsk8r
11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
theres some old info on it, i still havent found the thread of the a20 with it though, but i know im not crazy...i know i have seen it...

ok i found the thread i was looking for before... i guess i looked this thread over when i was still a noob so lol its not a a20a3, its a cb3 accord with a carbed F20a3 engine but still about the same concept, anyways heres the thread

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46047

koss007
11-17-2007, 11:04 PM
so i just mocked up the turbo and carb it will fit just need to move the fan, or get a slim one.. hell i give it a try as soon as i rebuild the motor. no point of having a boosted 170K motor, your just asking for trouble.. thanks for the info ..

2oodoor
11-18-2007, 04:02 AM
yep you are crazy but aint we all? lol
I dont see how that would last without timing controls, on that I would guess something like a crank signal ignition controller, programable, and since it is draw through.. a throttle position sensor. Boost controller too, wastegate, and what about the exhaust temp.. there are just so many things to consider on that set up. VW need reliefs in the pistons when you use forced induction too. I think blow through would be more reliable or say... safer.. but it sure does look pretty.
I wouldn't go messing around with the fan, that is the life support on a bug. it has to be shrouded and keep airflow on those cylinders.
I also think some cooling fins on the header pipes up to the turbo would be a good thing, or some sort of intercooler set up there.

What is the car going to be used for, just a drag car you can probably make short cuts but you couldnt hot lap, and plan on a rebuild pretty often.

koss007
11-18-2007, 11:52 AM
ya thats not my bug its just the same setup .. and i been running 18psi on my bug for about 2years with a drawthrough and street driven .. and about being safer thats up in the air?? Also i know about EGT and A/F ..

MessyHonda
11-18-2007, 08:15 PM
ya thats not my bug its just the same setup .. and i been running 18psi on my bug for about 2years with a drawthrough and street driven .. and about being safer thats up in the air?? Also i know about EGT and A/F ..

sounds bad ass

koss007
11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
it will be my winter project .. once i start .. i dont see there being too much issues .. but i have been wrong before .. i know ill be rebuilding the motor on DEC. 14

koss007
11-27-2007, 12:45 AM
so .. doing some research these past few weeks .. and a blowthrough is a better idea. + u get to use a BOV and intercooler . my parts are starting to arrive, i got my pistons, rods, rings, and oilpump today .. waiting on bearings and gaskets.. I cant wait

cygnus x-1
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Interesting project. And a tuning adventure for sure. For timing the easiest thing would be to just run static advance across the board. Maybe 12-14 degrees BTDC. Won't be very efficient but it would work. Or you could disable the vacuum advance and just run the centrifugal advance.

I really want to see this running.

C|

Vanilla Sky
11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
DCOE carbs?

/subscribed