PDA

View Full Version : Can i take off my choke

mark_salad_bar
11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I have a 89 accord lx carb....ever time i got to turn it on in the morining..it seems like the choke stays wide open and it revs up to like 3 thousand rpm for about 5 mins..till it warms up...the thing is is that it isnt cold here i live in houston texas so its always warm..so the question is ..can i just take the choke off? what does it do?.....any help will be Appreciated ..thanks.

2ndGenGuy
11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I have a 89 accord lx carb....ever time i got to turn it on in the morining..it seems like the choke stays wide open and it revs up to like 3 thousand rpm for about 5 mins..till it warms up...the thing is is that it isnt cold here i live in houston texas so its always warm..so the question is ..can i just take the choke off? what does it do?.....any help will be Appreciated ..thanks.

Just give the gas pedal a good quick blip. It should come down to a reasonable level.

2oodoor
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
should if it could, but most of the time these can't because the fast idle pull off is separate from the choke pull off.

Some others here and myself have removed the entire choke and have no problems getting started even in high 20F degree weather. You would have to stay with the car for about a minute if you like to let it warm up while you go back inside.

AccordEpicenter
11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
doesnt sound like a great idea to me

2oodoor
11-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I tend to agree with that , on most any OTHER car. lol
I do recommend looking into a search for that problem, it is worth addressing through "proper" measures.. there are a dozen or more things that cause that problem though. Check the most simple, like removing the air cleaner assy. and spraying down every thing with a good carb and choke spray and finish of with some wd40. Check for vacuum lines off or split open, or broke.
Once you have done that, come back and post results, and we can see what the next step is.

itzdave
11-16-2007, 12:57 PM
i removed my choke and, like roodoo2 said, ya gotta stay in the car and give it a lil gas to keep it goin for a minute (usually less), then just take your foot off the gas and if it will idle, then you can go back inside and wait for it to warm up or whatever. it doesnt get too cold here in oklahoma, otherwise i wouldnt have done it.