PDA

View Full Version : Help performance b20a help needed

nzBA1lude
11-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Hey guys
a couple of quick questions
i live in new zealand and have a japanese import genuine 1986 BA1 prelude
i have been racing this as a club car for the last 6 months until i drove it into a concrete wall in the rain

while im waiting for a rebody i though i would sort out the power plant
1. the engine is original to the car (serial number matchs firewall plate) but it had a black rocker cover ,has this been replaced or repainted because i was told 2nd gen preludes only came out with a goldtop

2. What is an EGR

3. if my engine is an black top what can i change to get the gold top power gain (i have already made a full 2 1/4" exhaust including stainless headers)

4. i am planing on installing ITBs has anybody seen this done and any ideas how to get around the map sensor side of the intake

5. what exactually are the ecu code of the black and gold top b20a

6. one last thought is will b18a cam gears fit onto my cams and are they the right diameter for the belt , i cant find any adjustable cam gears for a b20a but can get some for a b18a real cheap

any other thought on performance upgrades i can do

sorry if this is long but its my first post so im sure they will get shorter and to the point any help is greatly appreciated

AccordB20A
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey guys
a couple of quick questions
i live in new zealand and have a japanese import genuine 1986 BA1 prelude
i have been racing this as a club car for the last 6 months until i drove it into a concrete wall in the rain

while im waiting for a rebody i though i would sort out the power plant
1. the engine is original to the car (serial number matchs firewall plate) but it had a black rocker cover ,has this been replaced or repainted because i was told 2nd gen preludes only came out with a goldtop

2. What is an EGR

3. if my engine is an black top what can i change to get the gold top power gain (i have already made a full 2 1/4" exhaust including stainless headers)

4. i am planing on installing ITBs has anybody seen this done and any ideas how to get around the map sensor side of the intake

5. what exactually are the ecu code of the black and gold top b20a

6. one last thought is will b18a cam gears fit onto my cams and are they the right diameter for the belt , i cant find any adjustable cam gears for a b20a but can get some for a b18a real cheap

any other thought on performance upgrades i can do

sorry if this is long but its my first post so im sure they will get shorter and to the point any help is greatly appreciated

cant say i have thought about getting cam gears. if they look the same they will work.

theres a section here on ecu codes and how to check them if u look they are the same as the usa a20a

EGR is gay and your prelude should not have it. Pipe that comes off the exhaust manufold and goes into the intake.

black top b20a will have a differnt intake manifold. is it a dual runner or single??

gold top b20a ftw!

carotman
11-19-2007, 09:30 PM
You need SOHC F22A/F20A camgears. They will work.

The ECU is a PH3

AccordB20A
11-20-2007, 02:39 AM
i didnt know that. I wonder if you vcan get f22a/f20a cam gears locally lol

nzBA1lude
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
i googled some pictures of f22a and f20a cam gears and they only have 36 teeth b20a have 40 so im not sure about that

he did say sohc though i looked at some off a dohc so they might still work

AccordB20A
11-20-2007, 02:47 PM
mate im sure you can get BA5 prelude b20a5 ones, Only problem there is you have to swap the lower cambelt pulley on the crankshaft, use the ludes cambelt and may have to use the water pump and tentioner aswell. Theres a thread somewhere on the site of someone else who built a b20a with b20a5 parts

RobT5580
11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Its the SOHC i have them and the teeth are a match but the degree's are off a hair when set to TDC. I have not used mine yet but they should work no problem i have had them on a full build motor and turned it over.