PDA

View Full Version : 88 carbed idileing/dieing issues

tulowtugo
11-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I know there a ton of posts about this problem, but all the sugestions i have tried have not worked out, so im hopeing for some fresh ideas.

88 carbed. Problem started out just dieing when you first start it until it warmed up. Over the span of a few days it progressed to dieing at idle, cold or hot. Then it started dieing everytime the clutched was pushed in and the load taken off the engine. Finally, it has progressed to the point that, after warming up, the car bogs down and spits and sputters when I'm trying to accelerate. Once I hit 3rd gear it clears up, but I still have to 3 foot it when I need to stop or slow down. Finally I parked it and about a month ago I took it to my uncle whose a master mechanic.

He had it for a week or so and it seemed to be better. My uncle checked out the vacuum system and cleaned out the carb. He adjusted a few things on the carb, but he did not rebuild it.

Well, it was doing well and sat there idling (without help) for 15 minutes before I took it out. He said he had taken it out a few times and all was well. I started my drive home and got half way, about 30 minutes, when it started it again. Runs great as long as there is a load on the engine, but hit that clutch and the rpms drop like a brick in water and it dies.

I've come to my end with options. I can replace the carb and "hope" that im not just wasting more money on the car, or I can jsut replace the car.

A20A1
11-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

But it could be electrical as well.

check your coolant level
Using a vacuum gauge can help
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48569

usually the problem is not the carb itself, the carb is just reacting to low vacuum, or isn't adjusted right causing things to be rich or lean.

check idle
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572

Check PCV, ground wires & Battery wires/connections, spark plugs, distributor, distributor cap.

also check this
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

if it was just a cold start problem then it could be the choke or fast idle.

steveko
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I too have this issue but it's only when it's cold or first being started.

JD89LX
12-07-2007, 06:53 PM
i also have this problem... it just started today... it went from idling rough to flat out dying when i put the clutch in in the course of 3 hours...

any more help on this would be appreciated

steveko
12-08-2007, 08:41 AM
JD89LX check you're booster venturies see if they are loose try rocking them back and fourth.

88accordA20A1
01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
i'll be honest, in my 88 LX i had a horrible time getting the engine to start at all in the cold, and went through replace vacuums, pull offs, and butterflies like candy... i actually ended up getting a lawn mower throttle cable from Lowe's, attaching one end to a butterfly and screwed the throttle adjustment into my parking brake console. i won't say it's the most beautiful thing in the world but manually adjusting my choke makes winter start-ups a breeze.

Big-D
02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Same problem w/ my 89. Your gonna have to replace the automatic choke. Mine runs GREAT now.