PDA

View Full Version : help please... im stumped

igarut5410
11-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I have an 87 accord lx-i hatchback and it recentley started to squeak a lot... here are some of the symptoms...
Does not sqeauk at idle... starts to sqeak at about 45 mph... stops squeaking when it goes under 45 or so...
Just replaced calipers, rotors, and brake pads...
Seems to be related to the vehicles speed.... when I speed up... the squeaking speeds up as well
Squeak seems intermittent... it goes away and comes back
If you guys could give me some advice... that would be cool
I was thinking maybe drive belts... but the sqeak is not at idle...
Then I thought wheel bearings... but they tend to growl more than sqeak...
I dont really know what else it could be... any help would be appreciated... thanks

A18A
11-19-2007, 01:56 AM
might be the exhaust heat shield rubbing against the exhaust pipe, making it squeek

AccordB20A
11-19-2007, 02:10 AM
could be brake dust guard, they tend to do that if u bend them

labeledsk8r
11-19-2007, 04:35 AM
could be brake dust guard, they tend to do that if u bend them

well if the sound is comeing fro mthe wheel area then this sounds like it could be it since you just were doing wheel and brake work, check that out. if its more a under car or engine bay noise check exhuast and heat sheild and even engine mounts, also check your suspension bushings

igarut5410
11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
i thought it was the dust shield too..;. so I toook it off... still squeaks... Ill try the heat shield next... thanks for the help

itzdave
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
do you know where the sound is coming from? front, rear, left, right? could it be a bushing or something. my rear end makes a squeaky sound ever since i lowered it.

knarg
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
yeah my rear end squeaks, ever since i swapped to koni and ground control.

russiankid
11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
It quiet possibly could be the wheel bearings. One of my wheels bearings was squeaking at times, very annoying. It would come and go whenever it decided to.

Demon1024
11-19-2007, 11:21 PM
It doesn't squeak at idle motion at any rpm? Notice what rpms you are doing when it squeeks then try increasing rpm "slowly" at idle see if it does it. Or get your car up on some blocks and run the engine up to 45mph (getsomeone to help) and look for noise,but not to close to the moving parts/OR under it for that matter. Or i could be what someone said that a shield is loose or something is rattling but it's at a constant 45 or is it varied?

igarut5410
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
i think it might be the wheel bearing too... it is really annoying and its coming from the front driver's side area... it comes on just as I am hitting 45... its not related to rpms... its is related to vehicle speed... too bad these wheel bearings are a bitch to change

itzdave
11-20-2007, 09:40 AM
what kind of squeaking sound does it make, short repetitive, chirping, high pitch, low pitch. are you tires balanced? maybe your strut is starting to go out. does it happen more/worse when you hit bumps or a bumpy/not smooth part of the road?

LX-incredible
11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Could it be the speedometer cable?

igarut5410
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
it is a high pitched chirping sound....
and it cant be my speedo cable... i just lubed it up yesterday and it still makes the noise...
it cant be anything whistling...
I jacked up my car this morning and got the speed up to about 40 and it still started to squeak... im starting to lean more towards the wheel bearings...

LX-incredible
11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Did you have the noise before you worked on the brakes? If you used pad shims, I would check that they are still in place, and not dragging on the rotor. It is also possible, but unlikely that wear indicators were damaged bringing them too close to the rotor.

itzdave
11-20-2007, 11:41 AM
is the sound rpm specific. (ex. 45mph in 5th gear vs 45mph in 4th or 3rd, does it matter?) does it only happen if you are accelerating/cruising or if you take it out of gear or brake does it still happen? does the steering wheel vibrate or shake? sorry to ask so many questions, it could just help to pinpoint what might be causing it.

igarut5410
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
yeah... asking questions is helping me a lot... it helps me to pinpoint the problem myself... it is speed specific... it doesnt matter what gear i am in... it usually just happens when it watnts to... it can be when I am braking accelerating... turning... nothing affects it other than vehicle speed...

gp02a0083
11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
im having the same problem myself , for my car it is from the front passenger side, i took my brakes apart and saw no abnormal wear. if its anything like mine its a squeak that speeds up as you do and slows down also, sometimes it gets worse as you slow or at slow speeds, i bent my dust gurad and checked my brakes and nothing is snowing signs of scuffing, from what i get its something with the rotating assembly b/c of the way the sound is. id have to even suspect in your case as well as mine that is the hub bering starting to go.

igarut5410
11-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I FOUND IT!!!!!! There is a little seal that sits between the axel and the hub flange... I was getting desperate and started spraying silicone everywhere... when I sprayed in that are... the sound slowly started going away... I sprayed some grease (zep2000) on that seal and that dam squeak went away... thanks for the help guys!!!

AccordB20A
11-21-2007, 12:26 AM
wonder why it squeaked in the 1st place? is ur CV nut tight?

igarut5410
11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
yeah... the cv nut is tight.... I used a 1/2 impact gun for that...