PDA

View Full Version : 86 accord lxi rear brake drums stuck.

moonjaw2002
11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I replaced the front pads and was going to replace the rear also.The drums will not come off the hub.The hub is loose and the stubs move in the holes in the drum.The pads must be stuck in the groove caused by wear.Any ideas how to remove them,Thanks.
Mark

itzdave
11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
i got mine off by putting a screwdriver between them and lightly tapping with a screwdriver, and then just worked my way around the drum.

MessyHonda
11-19-2007, 09:57 PM
was the e-brake on?

tap it with a hammer on the sides.

LX-incredible
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I've really never had a problem getting these off. There are two tapped holes on the drum (M8 x 1.25 I believe), that if you screw two bolts into will press on the hub, removing the drum. You could also try removing the plug on the back side and prying up on the toothed adjuster wheel. You will likely damage the adjuster lever doing so, but it could probably be re-bent.

AZmike
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
I had this problem before going to discs on my sedan. You can pry them off (screwdrivers, pry bars, bolts, etc), but may damage the shoes. There's a chance that you'll bend the linkage.

There is an adjuster on the back of the drum accessible through a slot below the cylinder. You may be able to get the shoes far enough off the drum to disassemble it easily. I've only read about this method here ( search may turn it up). I forced mine off and was replacing the shoes so the damage to the friction surface didn't matter.

russiankid
11-22-2007, 06:25 PM
When mine were stuck, i took a 4lb mallet and gave them a few good knocks around the perimeter and they came off. Now i was swapping my drums for rear discs so i wasn't worried about damaging any parts of the brake mechanism, so do it at your own risk.