PDA

View Full Version : new alternator but same problem

jkool15
11-20-2007, 05:44 PM
alright last firday my deck shut off while i was driving i thought my buddy had turned it off but he didnt have the remote in his hand. but it did it again. so pulled over and every time i het my brakes my lights would dim... i did sum searching on here and figured it was my alterator. so i took it to my mechanic told hime wut happened and he figured it was the alternator aswell... so he put in a new one and all was fine untill today. i was driving home from work and noticed my deck shutting off again. and lights dimming .... any one have any idea what the problem could be? thanks in advance

MessyHonda
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
yeah when my alternator died...my deck started to shut off also. but after i replaced it everything worked...are you getting 14.4 volts at idle?

AccordB20A
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
so ur car likes to blow alternators too. Does the battery light on the dash come on? or stay off

jkool15
11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
well b4 i replaced it the batery light would come on when i reved high.... but it doesnt do it now... my mechanic showed me that i wasnt getting it b 4 he placed it and he showed me that it was after he replaced it but i dont know if it is now or not... im taking the car back to my mechanic in the morning

AccordB20A
11-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Usually when the alt dies the battery light will come on

jkool15
11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
alternator came loose thats wut the problem was this time... but the cars not safe any more..... i think its part out time..... making a new thread for part out....

2oodoor
11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
I would check grounds, and if you have an amp for the sub it may need capacitor(s) so you are not asking the alternator to support the car's electrics /battery AND the amp quite as much.
It is also possible the main relay is starting to get too much resistance and may need resoldering, (or replacement if it is damaged)

Whiter
11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
ahh crappy my alternator adjusting nut was completely loose and ive been running the car like that for 2 months with it making retarded squeals and all kinds of chaotic things going on when i had an electric load like my light on.. i just figured out the problem yesterday, i also picked up a capacitor and still need to hook it up, do i run my + line right from battery to capacitor and from capacitor + to amp + or do i make a 2 way in the main line and still run it straight to amp with the cap in a parralel? not important really i can hunt that info