PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild List

fogged
11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
First of all. I want to say thanx for all the help I've got from you guy's!! :cheers: You have helped keep my 3g on the road. All the small stuff has been fixed. Now it's time to dig into the motor. I have found alot of what I need in many other posts. The motor is comein' out for a top to bottom rebuild over the winter. I want to bore it and woud love to stroke it. If its possiable. The head needs work as well. Port, polish, valve job, and a mean cam.

I was hoping that I could ask for a good list of parts and venders of where to find them. Thanx for any help you guys can give me.

MessyHonda
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
sounds like you havent researched....read up on some of past posts

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=809422&postcount=29

cubert
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
502 big block swap.

snoopyloopy
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
get ready to throw down some pretty pennies. these engines ain't cheap by a long shot. can probably get just about any setup you want if your pockets are deep enough. but basically, decide if you want to be building for a turbo build or an na build.

fogged
11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
I just want a mean a20. No need for a turbo or nos. Ive had the car almost 18yrs. Now that I have the time and a new Jeep. I want to build the car up.

fogged
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
We can use 90-93 teg and 90-93 accord cold air intakes. My ? is has anyone tried to use a AEM V2 intake on our cars?

itzdave
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
delta cams- 272. thats what i got and im very happy with it.

2oodoor
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
sounds like you havent researched....read up on some of past posts

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=809422&postcount=29

yeah no kidding, first thing outta the sentence "I want to bore and stroke"
Get some starbucks and read, try and sort out the BS... go back to 2002 threads and come on up to present.

If you want to stay carbed and old school, look in R&D, performance, carb tech. and visit a Prelude site for 2nd gen lude, and visit some good old school mod sites for older Civics like red pepper racing. A lot of good stuff in there. A20 is a tough motor but lacks induction flow to push it, so head work and fuel system mods are bit more important.

fogged
11-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Ok... I have looked at the site as best as I can. Im still new to the board, so give me some slack. I have not been here from day one. As a new member to the site there are a crap load of post in here.

I have an efi motor, not carbed. All I asked for was a list of Parts and Venders, and maybe some tips on how to best do the rebuild. Its not like I said I want the impossiable. It also says bore and stoke if it can be done.

If not ok. Im not wanting to offend anyone. Sometimes I just dont know where to look in the site for what I need.

88Accord-DX
11-21-2007, 11:12 PM
post got quoted, (removed it)

I don't like repeating myself in a thread.

88Accord-DX
11-22-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not going to add to the "list", but to rebuild a motor & for it to be successful, you need to know what your doing. Most of it will be machine work. The other thing will be tight tolerances on the crank & rod bearings along with pistons. So, if you have what it takes to rebuild a good 'tight' engine, more power to ya! (need some micrometers, dial bore gauge, etc.)

If you rebuild the the block, you need to rebuild the cylinder head. It will need new valve stem seals. Have the valve springs check for tension & free height. Have the valve guides checked for specs. Have the valve seats re-seated. A must on a rebuild!

I also will say this is more to it than what is sounds.

2oodoor
11-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok... I have looked at the site as best as I can. Im still new to the board, so give me some slack. I have not been here from day one. As a new member to the site there are a crap load of post in here.

I have an efi motor, not carbed. All I asked for was a list of Parts and Venders, and maybe some tips on how to best do the rebuild. Its not like I said I want the impossiable. It also says bore and stoke if it can be done.

If not ok. Im not wanting to offend anyone. Sometimes I just dont know where to look in the site for what I need.

relax man, my bad I thought you were carbed but my DUH slackness looked at the wrong thing on your avatar. I did not mean to sound mean, I think you may have mistaken me. Sorry all the same, but still.... the threads seem infinite I know, I have read till my eyes were bleeding plenty of times on this and other forums.
I helped you with something before and you should know I am not like that :)
But, yes I am saying that boring out the motor and stroking it are kind of not on the agenda most of the time with these. You wont need to bore the cyl if they are in good shape, these things are good for over 200K miles without needing anything but deglazing and honed. But if you do choose that , it will be a bit more expensive.
Stroke, I do not see where that is being done much with the A20. You can go to a shorter piston but that would be for turbo builds.
Since your are Lxi, and you want something of a head turner, turbo would be the best choice. The bottom end (block) can be built with beefed up rods and crankshaft work, balancing, to get the rotating assembly a little bit more bulletproof. Port and polished head ports, and 3 angle valve job.
Vendors, not a whole lot of those. All I can say is search a litte on the R&D and Forced Induction for brands,and see what is still available used.
Peace

coope
12-25-2007, 02:08 PM
502 big block swap.

u just disguss me