PDA

View Full Version : Knocks from rear suspension

Gres
11-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Dear all!
Please advise me what to do. I have accord 86 4D. Nice car. But i can`t understand why rear suspension works with some knocks?:sad2:
I have changed rear springs for a new ones, all sailentblocks and Levers. But knocking is still available!:( When somebody sit down on the rear seat -the knocks are gone! What is the reason of such suspension working i don`t understand. Perhaps my rear Shocks is bad?:thumbdn:
Also i have found that my ne springs have reduced upper spring coils. Is it normal? In manual it`s look like this coils shoud be at underneath.
Please look for a photoes at ukranian Honda site, because i don`t understand yet how to attach photoes here. Thank you!
http://honda.org.ua/forum/about28952.html

russiankid
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Check the rear ball joint. Usually they squeak when they are ready to go out but possibly yours are knocking instead. The ball joint has to be replaced with the whole upper control arm. The upper control arm also has a bushing, that could be the problem as well.

LX-incredible
11-21-2007, 08:51 AM
The coils that are spaced closer should be on the bottom and should have rubber pieces glued to them:
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9545/p1000037rt3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gres
11-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Thank you pals! I have already replaced both ball joints - the sound is still remain.:( I see at yours photo that i have wrong assembled struts. :banghead: Do you think that this could be a reason of knocks? Under the loading all knocks disappear. :confused:

LX-incredible
11-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Could be. Might as well install them correctly, as they are pretty easy to get out of there. If you have some meat on your bones, you don't even need a spring compressor for the rear. I would also make sure the damper bushings are in good shape and that the lock nuts are good and tight.

Gres
11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
LX-incredible! Please tell me, what is for this rubber pipes on the spring coils? Is they necessary?

itzdave
11-23-2007, 02:22 PM
rubber pipe? the rubber at the ends of the spring are just there for vibration suppresion. but you might have a rubber dust boot on there too

Gres
11-24-2007, 03:10 AM
I meant rubber pieced on the coils, on the bottom part of the spring. They reduce vibration or what for they are?

LX-incredible
11-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I assume they're there to prevent the coils from banging on each other. Most aftermarket springs don't have them.

MessyHonda
11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I assume they're there to prevent the coils from banging on each other. Most aftermarket springs don't have them.

yeah because aftermarket springs are much stiffer than stock

Gres
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Dear Advisers! Thank you all !!! I replaced my KYB`s for Tokiko and turn over springs! No more knocks and noises! Thank you for Help!:)

MessyHonda
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Dear Advisers! Thank you all !!! I replaced my KYB`s for Tokiko and turn over springs! No more knocks and noises! Thank you for Help!:)

yup tokico blues are not bad for the price. i took my subs out and no more rubbing problems on the rear.

bobafett
12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Glad to hear that's all it took to fix the noises! Gotta love getting stuff fixed on the car!