PDA

View Full Version : EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

nfs480
11-21-2007, 08:40 PM
My check engine light is on with code 12: EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be fixed immediately or if I can ignore it for a while until I get some more cash without causing any additional damage.

AZmike
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
If you have a vacuum pump you can do the EGR valve test detailed in the factory manual. Frequently the problem is not the valve itself, but clogged EGR passages or a slow-responding EGR controller (parts in the black emissions box).

You may not need to fix this immediately, but at least look into what parts may be required to fix it. You may also want to reset the ECU and see how long it takes to come back.

nfs480
11-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I don't have a vaccuum pump but I do have an appointment at Honda in the beginning of December for unrelated work. I'll ask them to take a look at it. I just wanted to make sure it would be fine to drive until then.

88Accord-DX
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
IF you don't want to spend good money on taking it to Honda, clean all the carbon off the pintle on the bottom of the EGR & tubing. Then see if the code comes back.

edit- do the vacuum test on the diaphram also as mentioned.

nfs480
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll give that a shot and see if it fixes the problem.

AccordB20A
11-22-2007, 12:17 AM
so blocked EGR will cause a code also?

DBMaster
11-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I went through this a couple years ago. When I pulled the EGR to clean it up I noticed that it had a slight "detent" about halfway open. So, there were no vacuum leaks and it did open up all the way. The slight hesitation, or "stick" at the halfway point triggered a code on the ECU. So, after messing around with everything else due to the fact that the EGR itself is always the last thing to go I ended up buying a new EGR and the issue is gone. The lift sensor is integral so the whole mess cost me $140.

nfs480
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Where did you get your replacement sensor?

88Accord-DX
11-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Where did you get your replacement sensor?

I don't know where he got it, but Rockauto.com might be a cheaper route. Sure there might be other sites with cheap EGR's, they will be pricey no matter where you look. :)