PDA

View Full Version : Block heater in a 86 accord lxi.

moonjaw2002
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I have replaced all of my sensors and checked all of the wiring with a ohm meter and still have a code 6.I have a extra good ecu and it also shows a code 6 when installed.I have cleaned the fast idle valve and tested it by the book.After doing all of this the car is now harder to start than before,and at warmer temps.Once warm the car starts right up with no problems and runs great.
Has anyone installed a block heater in their car and does it help.Would i still have troubles with the way it is now.How hard is it to remove a freeze plug with the engine in the car.Thanks.
Mark

Oldblueaccord
11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
ECT have you got a ohm reading and compare it to the book specs?

The block heaters I have used go in between the heater hoses so you dont mess with the freeze plugs or anything.

wp

moonjaw2002
11-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I have went by my Honda manual and did every test on every sensor on the car.I have replaced both thermo sensors on the thermastat housing and the one in the radiator.I have replaced the iacv and cleaned the tb.I have tested every wire with a ohm meter back to the ecu,including connectors.I have put a known good ecu out of my parts car that was rolled and still have it blinking code 6.Since temp has gone below 40 the car will not start no matter what i do.If i wait for the temp to go up a little with the sun hitting it,it will start but not after 4 or 5 tries.
Mark

Oldblueaccord
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60400&highlight=ECT+Sensor

wp

moonjaw2002
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
If you would have read above they are both new.
Mark

Oldblueaccord
11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Well go back and check the ECT reading again unplugged cold and then hot. Theres some specs in the books I dont have with me I'm on vacation.Your ECU (both) are telling you ,code #6, that the sensor is outta spec. Either it is or there something wrong with the wires,connection etc.

Get rid of the code 6 which can cause hard starting and we can go from there.

Remember my car runs fine and I just trying to help out. Please disreguard if this does not fit what you need.

wp

moonjaw2002
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the help,i have a honda manual and have done every test on all of my sensors and they are new and check good.Cleaned iacv and tb.Used my ohm meter and tested all wires and connectors from sensors all the way to the ecu,no shorts or breaks.Even trird a ecu that is know good.This is just not making any sense and driving me nuts.In some posts i have read that a bad alt will sometimes cause this and have even checked it.
I am ready to just order a block heater and give up on it till summer.LOL
thanks again,Mark

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Quote:
So, a temporary solution, which I found here on the site, is the "paperclip method", haha. Just stick a cut paperclip in the TW sensor plug. This gives a closed circuit to the ECU from the sensor plug, making it think the engine is always warm, so it won't give it too much gas. This saves you from flooding it, however, it makes starting a bitch, as you gotta give it just the right amount of gas as you crank it, then rev it a

End Quote.

try this and see if it will start cold with no problems. That will prove that sensors is messing with the starting.

I'll go test mine and see what I get numbers wise.

On page 12-24 is the test procedure in the helms and theres pictures on 10-6. its the one closest to the block.

wp

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I got 5 volts on the Yellow/green wire and I think I got about 560 ohm on the sensor warmed up pretty good. Look like for me a little out of spec.

What does your read ?

wp

moonjaw2002
11-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I have the Honda manual and it says i should have 5 ohms at 32f,when i checked it this morning it was 27 and my reading was 4.3 ohms.I have a extra bottom hose and am going to cut it and put a heater in it.It's getting too cold to be messing with it,Thanks for the help Old blue.Mark