PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound when shifting into park

jdaddy88lx-i
11-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I get this click sound when I go from reverse to park. Could that be the shifter cable needing an adjustment? Any ideas?

Oldblueaccord
11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I think there is a pawl that locks the shifter with the key switch. It might be what your hearing. I dont have and auto myself so hopefully some one else will chip in.

wp

GraniteLXI
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
I have an auto and when i go from reverse to park it does not click, but about the lock, I do know that it wont let you shift into unless the key is turned on and I think you have to hold your foot on the brake (normal for all auto cars) The click your hearing my be something...is it a soft click like a switch, or a heavy click from the tranny? Hard to say.

jdaddy88lx-i
11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
It is comming from the tranny. I had the trans replaced about 6 months ago and the old one did the same thing.

jdaddy88lx-i
11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Their is no noise when driving though.

GraniteLXI
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I dont know much about trannys, but i do notice based on the engine's idle speed when the tranny locks in you can feel it, if the engine is idleing high it may make a click, i have shifted into reverse from a higher idle once in a while and it will shift into it kinda roughly. It may even be the load being taken off the brakes, all i can really say is that I dont notice anything out of ordinary when i shift from park to reverse/Drive, or reverse/Drive into park. Wish I knew more, only going by how my auto tranny acts.

cubert
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
If it doesnt effect normal driving, i wouldnt worry about it too much. Its probably just a noise in the shifter itself. Just keep an open ear and see if it gets any worse...because we all know those damn problems never get any better on their own :lol: